Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't fight, but I do to defend myself. But is it gentlemanly to fight?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your definition of gentlemanly and the reasons why you're fighting.

ReputationRep:
    So what is a good reason to fight then?

ReputationRep:
    If it kicks off then try and talk it through and diffuse the situation and express that you don't want to fight if they still attack you then by all means kick the **** out of them.

ReputationRep:
    How else am I supposed to prove I am a man?

ReputationRep:
    depends whether you use a top hat, cane and monocle or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I don't fight, but I do to defend myself. But is it gentlemanly to fight?
    Not if you use a pistol.

ReputationRep:
    You can be a man or a gentleman.

ReputationRep:
    to defend a damsel in distress

ReputationRep:
    I think if you are sticking up for someone or something you believe in and somebody has started on you first, then yes it can make you a "gentleman" to fight. But those guys who you see getting into scraps over nothing just seem really immature.

ReputationRep:
    That's down to you, really. We each have our own honour which is different from everyone else.

Me, for example, I don't see any honour in fighting, so I fight when I can't avoid it and so I fight to win, whether that means fighting dirty or not.

ReputationRep:
    but don't most younger people start fights for no reason? Or because somebody was disrespectful to them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    That's down to you, really. We each have our own honour which is different from everyone else.

Me, for example, I don't see any honour in fighting, so I fight when I can't avoid it and so I fight to win, whether that means fighting dirty or not.

why is it subjective? Everything is relative, but isn't there one opinion here?

ReputationRep:
    No no, a physical scuffle is so uncouth. A duel at dawn is the done thing.

ReputationRep:
    First diplomacy, then fisticuffs if necessary. Unfortunately it seems to be the norm that people who strike first are the 'Real Men'.

ReputationRep:
    I think if a man strikes first, in any situation, his penis is about an inch long.

People who strike first or are overly aggressive are compensating, or are mentally ill.

ReputationRep:
    Starting a fight is immature. I'd only fight in self-defence, but the smartest/mature thing to do is to not propogate anything

ReputationRep:
    It's only gentlemanly when you use your glove and challenge your opponent to a duel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper)
    If it kicks off then try and talk it through and diffuse the situation and express that you don't want to fight if they still attack you then by all means kick the **** out of them.
    Exactly. Never start, but always finish.

ReputationRep:
    Not if you use the Queensberry rules, my dear sir!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.