The Student Room Group

Can an employer give less hours than contracted for?

I work basically full time at the moment, in order to pay for rent etc. The hours i'm given are stated on a rota which is sorted out weekly. My basic contract is 20 hours per week, however usually i do between 34 and 36 hours a week.

However, this week i've been given a measley 14 hours. Which wont even cover my rent. Everyone else who is working, even those who are on 20 hours have been given thirty ish, and i seem to be getting the raw end of the deal.

Do employers have to give you the hours stated on your contract each week, or will it be averaged out over a month (because i have done almost full time hours for the previous two weeks, so they don't have to give me many hours this week?)

It's just annoying as i said before, i wont be able to pay for rent, christmas presents etc. They've already messed up the overtime that everyone has done, so this month i've not received the 30 hours overtime that i've done.

I was thinking maybe it was my job performance, but im always on time, do whatever they tell me to do etc, the managers haven't complained to me.

Help, please?
Reply 1
You need to read how it's stated in your contract. It will probably say "X hours per week (more as required)". But if yours says "X per month" then you getting fewer for one week is fine. If you're unsure then have a word with them or see if anyone who got more hours wants to get rid of a few in your direction.
The best thing to do would be to talk to someone who sorts out the hours.. if it's in your contract that you have to work so many hours, and you're below that amount, then you do have the right to question it- particularly if you're not going to be able to afford everything that you need.
Original post by Sky_Dream

Do employers have to give you the hours stated on your contract each week, or will it be averaged out over a month (because i have done almost full time hours for the previous two weeks, so they don't have to give me many hours this week?)

Help, please?

If your contract states 20 hours pw then they have 2 give you that amount each week. Show your employer your contract and explain that you need the money each week because you use it to cover your living expenses. If you explain the situation to them Im sure they will try to adjust the timetable so that you will have the hours you need. You can also ask them whether there is anything about your performance they are unhappy with, that way you can try to improve.
Good Luck:smile:
Reply 4
I'm sure if you explain your situation your employer will try and sort it out (unless he/she is a complete a hole like so many of them). You signed a contract when you started working for them which will state what you should do per week/per month. Read through it so you know what you're talking about when you go and see your employer - sounding like you know what you're doing/entitled to is always a good start :smile:
As others have said you need to talk to a manager or similar about it.

I know in my contract it says that i'm contracted to work 28 hours a week, however it also says "The company is under no obligation to provide you with work" or something like that, so they could effectively cut my hours right down without need to justify it, which is worrying.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
It says in my contract 'you will normally work 20 hours per week.' So that's why i was a bit shcoked when i found out i was only working 14 this week.

Someone rang me from work today, and asked if i could do extra hours, so now im doing about 18, which is a bit better. I will still bring it up with them though. I could understand if they had no hours to give to people, but everyone else who is on a 20 hour contract is doing 30 hours.

Thanks for everyone who replied though, i really appreciate it. Im going to bring it up with them tomorrow.
Reply 7
I am contracted to 25 hours but only been given 20. Does the company still have to pay me for 25 hours as that's what I am contracted to? Thanks in advance

Latest

Trending

Trending