Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Withdrawal on Medical grounds - What will SFE demand? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I was a first year student at University of Hertfordshire, since 27th September. However, due to my medical condition of a brain tumour, I've had to withdraw from my course as the tumour has changed, and I will be going for a biopsy just after Christmas, followed by what looks like an 8-9 week course of Chemotherapy sometime after.

I signed the withdrawal form with my programme tutor on 23rd November, and moved out of halls yesterday (26th November). I have been told that because I have withdrawn before 1st December and for medical reasons out of my control, I will not need to pay any tuition fees, and that I will get my remaining accommodation fees back paid up to christmas, about £250 from the £1300 paid.

So right now, I've changed my Student Finance application online, saying I've withdrawn, and just to be sure I've filled out a 'Change in Circumstances' form, and will send that off Monday with proof of withdrawal and proof of medical condition.

My question is, what will be my status with SFE? I expect payments to stop, and so I would have had about £1150 loan and £960 grant, of which I have £450 grant left, plus whatever accommodation I get refunded.

.Which of this will I need to pay back? I believed it would be the Maintenance loan.

.When and how will I need to pay this back? Right now or when I start earning over £15,000?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have a grant repayment, pro-rata up until the date of last attendance.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but what exactly does that mean?

I'll have to pay grant back to SFE?

ReputationRep:
    The grant you were given was for 12 months. You will have to pay the fraction of months share back that you won't be entitled to due to withdrawal.

ReputationRep:
    No the grant I was given is until Christmas. I am entitled to maximum grant, which is about £2600. I was given £960 at the start (27th September) to last me until 10th January, which is when my next payment of loan and grant would come in. But now I have told SFE to stop payments as I've withdrawn, so those will not be coming in.

So what is this grant repayment?

ReputationRep:
    The grant you've received, pro-rata for the time that you were there. You received £960 for that first term. You'll be entitled to keep an amount of it, but be required to repay part equivalent to the number of days between withdrawal and the next installment.

ReputationRep:
    quite wrong as i work for the company i know the correct regulations regarding this - as long as you can provide a letter from your gp stating that in his opinion you couldnt continue in your course on headed paper and signed and dated then you will not have to make any repayment whatsoever as the company cannot hold medical problems against anybody - and as the problem is medical should you wish to take up further funding in the future then you wont have any problems!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    The grant you've received, pro-rata for the time that you were there. You received £960 for that first term. You'll be entitled to keep an amount of it, but be required to repay part equivalent to the number of days between withdrawal and the next installment.
    So I was there for 57 days, and there is 48 days until the next payment was due.

£960 / 105 = £9.15

£9.15 * 48 = £439.20

I would have to pay back £439.20, is that correct?

as long as you can provide a letter from your gp stating that in his opinion you couldnt continue in your course on headed paper and signed and dated then you will not have to make any repayment whatsoever as the company cannot hold medical problems against anybody - and as the problem is medical should you wish to take up further funding in the future then you wont have any problems!!!!
    Can anyone else back this up?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slc2010)
    quite wrong as i work for the company i know the correct regulations regarding this - as long as you can provide a letter from your gp stating that in his opinion you couldnt continue in your course on headed paper and signed and dated then you will not have to make any repayment whatsoever as the company cannot hold medical problems against anybody - and as the problem is medical should you wish to take up further funding in the future then you wont have any problems!!!!
    If this is correct it will be a first on TSR!
    An employee having correct information.

ReputationRep:
    It's wrong. Regulation 7(4) clearly states:

(4) The period of eligibility terminates when the eligible student (“A”)—

(a)withdraws from A’s designated course in circumstances where the Secretary of State has not transferred or converted or will not transfer or convert A’s status as an eligible student under regulation 8,128 or 146; or.
    There is no scope for continued support at anywhere within the regulations for a withdrawal. The only way is if a student suspends. The OP has stated they withdrew from the course, hence the repayment.

OP, if you want to post up the date you last attended, I'll do the calculation properly for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thought it was too good to be true. Thank you Taiko, the dates are:

Term start: 27th September
    Withdrawal: 23rd November
    Next payment: 10th January

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Just assuming you received the full grant of £2906, you'll be asked to repay around £300. I make the grant entitlement to be £669 for the time you were in attendance.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do get full grant, and that's the figure that appears on my adjusted application now I've stated that I have withdrawn, thanks. Will they contact me first about repayment?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you'll be contacted a couple weeks after the withdrawal is processed. There will be a telephone number on the letter, and if you give them a call, you can make arangements with them for the repayment.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help Taiko!

ReputationRep:
    The silence from slc2010 is deafening!

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick update. I've spoken to the SLC, I have paid back my remaining Grant of £310. I have no tuition fees so no debt there, and I have an outstanding balance of about £1300 Maintenance Loan, which can be paid back when I'm earning more than £15k.

Thanks again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.