Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friends are looking at houses at the moment and one of my friends said that we should start looking NOW and get a house sorted before xmas. But I found this article that pretty much stressed that we shouldn't rush into things http://www.savethestudent.org/accomm...ml#comment-129

I just wondered what other people thought on the matter? Have you started looking? How late can you leave it? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    best houses go first. decide for yourself
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm on a gap year so probably not the best person for this..
    However all of my mates have started looking for houses..
    In fact, one of my mates has even put a deposit down since her group liked the house so much
    So i'd get started.. if you want a choice on where you live next year that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    best houses go first. decide for yourself
    I suppose you are right! There are pros and cons by the looks of things. Some people tell me that best houses go first but on the other hand another of my friends got an amazing house for next to nothing because him and his mates found it in March and the landlord just wanted to sell!

ReputationRep:
    best set of housemates > best house

least that's my thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to live with anyone, someone give me advice. :]

ReputationRep:
    If you've found people you want to live with, start looking. If you're not overwhelmed with anything you see before christmas, don't sign anything before christmas. Simples. Nothing wrong with taking your time to look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    apply for halls again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzie111)
    apply for halls again
    = living with 7, 8, 10 etc students. :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'd really like to live on my own too. I knew before I came to uni that I liked my own space too much to share, and living in halls has only confirmed it.

I don't think it's that much different to looking for a house, except you want to make extra sure the landlord/agency will rent to students as some don't seem very willing to for one bed/studio flats. Gumtree and similar sites tend to be a good place to look out for one bed and studio flats as well.

If you're a quiet boring student like me you could also keep an eye out for people wanting to let out room in their family home as I've noticed a lot of people do it because they can offer you your own separate space (eg, saw an advert a while ago that was bedroom, ensuite, and then your own sitting room and little kitchen on the next floor-so basically it's like having your own little flat but inside a house) but I guess that depends on how on your own you want to be.

Personally, I can see that finding something within my budget is going to be the most difficult aspect of it though. I do see little flats coming up within my budget near me (although only because I'm not fussy; if it's clean and the carpets aren't too hideous everything else can be fixed with a few throws and cushions) but not very frequently so I think it's going to be the luck of the draw as to what's available nearer the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    If you've found people you want to live with, start looking. If you're not overwhelmed with anything you see before christmas, don't sign anything before christmas. Simples. Nothing wrong with taking your time to look.
    From what I've heard you definitely don't need to start looking now! Most houses arn't even on the market until Jan-Feb, and there are always options right up to next summer (depending on number of bedrooms). So yeah, don't rush into anything as the article says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emit.)
    From what I've heard you definitely don't need to start looking now! Most houses arn't even on the market until Jan-Feb, and there are always options right up to next summer (depending on number of bedrooms). So yeah, don't rush into anything as the article says.
    Well it probably depends where you are, we got our house before christmas last year, others waited. This year again, a whole wave of houses have gone up to let in the last couple of weeks. But that's just what Southampton is like. I think the article was more stressing that you shouldn't rush and get any old house rather than not get one at all till later on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.