Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right now, I have everything in order, the Personal Statement, the UCAS form, everything, apart from one detail about where I am going to apply. Right now my choices are:

(F303: MSci Physics)

Cardiff
    Bath
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Southampton

(F300: BSc Physics)

Cardiff

I want that BSc in Cardiff as a back up because...well, I live in Cardiff and I would like to go to Uni here, not saying its the top choice, but still.

My question is, what Uni should I swap out with the back up BSc option? Is there another BBB course out there for a MSci in Physics that comes from a respectable Uni such at the ones I have down as choices anyways?

EDIT: Predicted AAAB (Technically its AABB, but im resitting my A level maths in certain modules to get it to an A, since I took F.Maths, which is the Predicted B)

ReputationRep:
    which do you like least?

ReputationRep:
    Thats the thing, I can't really decide! I want to keep Bristol and Cardiff whatever happens, followed closely by Nottingham, the other two were made by reading Prospectuses etc, but South has a very good department, while Bath is a nice place to live in and has ABB minimum.

ReputationRep:
    What are the requirements for each course? Because if both Cardiff courses have the same requirement then there's probably no need for the BSc, which will make it easier

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff- AAB-ABB
    Nottingham- AAB
    Bristol- AAA-AAB
    Bath- ABB
    Southampton-AAB

ReputationRep:
    The thing about Bath is that although its gorgeous, its very exspensive to live in especially when you move out of uni accom plus its way out of the town plus you usually have to go to bristol for everything... which may not be a selling point?

Alternatively do you REALLY want two choices on the same uni?

ReputationRep:
    The two choices is only there for the back-up really, if someone pulls out a BBB Uni which is respectable, I might change my mind on that.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OmegaGreen17)
    Cardiff- AAB-ABB
    Nottingham- AAB
    Bristol- AAA-AAB
    Bath- ABB
    Southampton-AAB
    I take it the Cardiff listed here is the MSci, and the BSc in Cardiff is BBB?

So you're definitely having Cardiff, Bristol and Cardiff (BSc) ... which only leaves one of Nottingham, Southampton and Bath to eliminate. You seem keen on Nottingham, so keep that; Bath and Southampton are based on prospectuses, with the only positive for Southampton being it's a good department.

I'd get rid of that one.

Cardiff, Bristol, Nottingham, Bath and Cardiff (BSc) - that would be my line-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I take it the Cardiff listed here is the MSci, and the BSc in Cardiff is BBB?

So you're definitely having Cardiff, Bristol and Cardiff (BSc) ... which only leaves one of Nottingham, Southampton and Bath to eliminate. You seem keen on Nottingham, so keep that; Bath and Southampton are based on prospectuses, with the only positive for Southampton being it's a good department.

I'd get rid of that one.

Cardiff, Bristol, Nottingham, Bath and Cardiff (BSc) - that would be my line-up.
    Thanks for your input, like with the rest of all who posted!

I mean, it seems logical to have a BSc as a back up, since if I do well enough, then I could apply for a Masters while there or wait til the BSc is finished and then reapply for Post-Grad?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your input, like with the rest of all who posted!

I mean, it seems logical to have a BSc as a back up, since if I do well enough, then I could apply for a Masters while there or wait til the BSc is finished and then reapply for Post-Grad?
    I don't know much about physics at uni or at Cardiff, but I know when I was applying for maths that you could apply for the BSc and, because they had a common two years, you could change to the MMath course if you were doing well enough.

Otherwise, yes - it seems sensible because I believe they have lower offers, and will also allow you to do a Masters. Advantage of an undergraduate Masters is student finance will cover it, whereas a post-grad one, you'd have to fund or get grants for.

ReputationRep:
    The two choices is only there for the back-up really, if someone pulls out a BBB Uni which is respectable, I might change my mind on that.
    Have you considered Dundee? It's a respected uni that offers an MSci at BBB grades. It is five years, because it's in Scotland, but you may be able to skip the first year if you achieve certain A-levels.

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduat...es/physics.htm

Or Hull, possibly? http://www2.hull.ac.uk/ug/11/physics/physics.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered Dundee? It's a respected uni that offers an MSci at BBB grades. It is five years, because it's in Scotland, but you may be able to skip the first year if you achieve certain A-levels.

HULL FTW - repped.

ReputationRep:

I would not like to go to those Universities, a bit too far away for me, especially Dundee I want to stay around 3 hours away from Cardiff (With Nottingham there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    HULL FTW - repped.
    I take it you like it at Hull?

ReputationRep:
    I would not like to go to those Universities, a bit too far away for me, especially Dundee I want to stay around 3 hours away from Cardiff (With Nottingham there)
    Fair enough - being so far away from home isn't for everyone.

If you're happy to do a BSc and then a Masters later as your back-up, then that sounds like a good plan. There are MScis with lower offers within three hours of Cardiff, but you'd have to compromise on reputation of the uni - only you can decide how much that matters to you.

Personally, I probably would rather do that, but not my decision.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't apply for 2 at the same Uni, I'm not sure what the Uni would think. It's definitely easier to switch down to the three year version (took me literally 20 seconds to tell someone in an office someone in Uni) than it is to switch up (not sure how student loans company would view it, probably could be talked into funding you).

Likelihood is you won't need a BBB backup, seems like your on course for better

ReputationRep:
    Im being so indecisive! I cannot decide, I don't want to end up getting no offers at all, thats what im paranoid about it.

ReputationRep:
    Im being so indecisive! I cannot decide, I don't want to end up getting no offers at all, thats what im paranoid about it.
    It's unlikely you'd get no offers at all for physics, unless you were being massively ambitious with entry requirements or had a truly dreadful PS/reference.

What's the source of the indecision, what are you having a hard time deciding between?

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely you'd get no offers at all for physics, unless you were being massively ambitious with entry requirements or had a truly dreadful PS/reference.

What's the source of the indecision, what are you having a hard time deciding between?
    I would go with the options I have right now, but the worries of the back-up has me in doubts, nobody can guarantee me getting a minimum of 2 offers, since noone can give me that, realistically, I worry that if I don't have a back-up il be in trouble, just in case things turn sour.

Obviously, I need the grades first

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.