Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sooo basically I am pretty good friends with this guy at uni. I live with him and other friends, and we spend a lot of time together. We'll get drunk together and we go out on nights out together, sometimes it's just me and him but that doesn't bother me - I just view it as if I was going out with any other friend. Sometimes when we're out he'll have his arm around me a lot, or we'll hold hands. And we tends to pick me up a lot (tbh I think he's just trying to be a strong man lol). But that's how I'd act with my best girl mate except she doesn't pick me up and constantly have her arm around my waist.

This guy is now going out with one of my best friends. She only met him because of me and at first I found it weird but now I don't think much of it and they both seem to really like each other so it's all good. However sometimes people will ask what's going on between me and that guy or people will ask if we're together and I'm like noooooo! Like the other night my mate said "so what's going on between you two?" and I was like "nothing!" and he was like "well you both seem very... close." Then we had a conversation about it. But then sometimes he'll sleep in my bed overnight and again there's definitely nothing to it, usually only happens because we're watching tv or can't be bothered to move or something then we fall asleep. But looking at it from my best friend/ his girlfriend's point of view, if I was her then I'd be very annoyed.

I don't know how to stop this though. Obviously I still want to be good friends with him. But I don't want people or his girlfriend / my best friend to think there's anything going on. Or shall I leave it how it is because there is nothing going on so I have nothing to hide. :rolleyes: It's a bit of a tricky situation.

ReputationRep:
    Standard. Male-female relationships usually have that element to them, as I'm sure you know. People understand that; if they get the wrong idea just correct them. Who cares, really? You probably should talk to his girlfriend though, just bring it up. She'll respect you for it and it'll stop her thinking there's anything going on.

ReputationRep:
    Yeahhh I know. I don't care what anyone thinks - but I'm really close to his girlfriend. I have some sort of contact with her (usually texting) everyday or every few days. So I find it awkward. I do talk to her about him a lot which shows I have nothing to hide but then I worry I make her jealous because she bangs on a lot about how much she misses him because she can't see him that often. Aaah.

ReputationRep:
    there's always some degree of sexuality in male-female friendships. I sleep in the same bed as my female friends if we jsut head back after a night out and crash out or whatever. and I do touch them, arms around waist etc. I don't see a problem with it. I even flirt with them. It's all good fun however, I'd never do anything, because they're not single.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.