Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

my dream guy has horrible teeth - could something be done about it? Watch

I've been totally in love with this guy from afar for over a year now. Honestly, everything about him seemed so perfect, and though I admit it's only been shallow fascination and admiration on my part, as time went on, I got to know him on a deeper level too thanks to class discussions and common friends. Since I always thought he was the most beautiful thing out there, I always presumed he's got a girlfriend; however, last week we all happened to go out drinking/celebrating a friend's birthday, and at one point we kind of got closer (nothing major, me being a bit tipsy led to a slow dance and a peck on the cheek). He somehow got my number and called me up the following day to ask me out. I was absolutely ecstatic and of course said yes. But then, once I met up with him, I realized he's got horrible teeth!!! They're really crooked and yellow...oh just dreadful. Even though I had a lovely time with him and will see him again, I was just so disappointed. You see, up until then, I've either only seen him from afar, or in the dark with my glasses off. Do you think there's a way to politely drop a hint that he could get some orthodontic work done? I really really like him but I think this is something I wouldn't be able to put up with for a long time. Don't get me wrong, my teeth weren't the straightest either (though compared to his they were perfect) but I suffered through invisalign and braces, so since then, I'm afraid I've become super judgemental teeth wise.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds expensive.

ReputationRep:
    "I'd date you, if ONLY you'd fix your disgusting teeth."

Say that, and then you won't be in this dilemma anymore.

Would you want them just straightened or would you need them whitened too? whitening properly from a dentist isnt cheap, not sure about braces.

ReputationRep:
    Um...I'd wait until you're further into your relationship before mentioning it - if you say that after you've just started dating...you probably wouldn't be dating too much longer lol.

The problem is, that dental work is sooo expensive & often long term...Professional whitening is expensive, and braces etc are a long term thing...so he would probably have to feel pretty strongly about it to commit to such an investment of his time or money... Lol blame his parents - should have got them sorted when younger & taught better dental hygiene.

I know, it's such an awkward thing to mention and true, it is expensive, but his family is quite wealthy so I don't understand why money should be a problem (mine is kind of on the poor side but both my parents and I felt I deserve nice teeth). Let's presume money is not an issue, still, how would you drop the hint? Had somebody told me out of the blue something like that a few years back when my teeth weren't straight, I'd be totally crushed. But then again, if nobody says anything, he might never do anything about it... ah, this is so perplexing. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been totally in love with this guy from afar for over a year now. Honestly, everything about him seemed so perfect, and though I admit it's only been shallow fascination and admiration on my part, as time went on, I got to know him on a deeper level too thanks to class discussions and common friends. Since I always thought he was the most beautiful thing out there, I always presumed he's got a girlfriend; however, last week we all happened to go out drinking/celebrating a friend's birthday, and at one point we kind of got closer (nothing major, me being a bit tipsy led to a slow dance and a peck on the cheek). He somehow got my number and called me up the following day to ask me out. I was absolutely ecstatic and of course said yes. But then, once I met up with him, I realized he's got horrible teeth!!! They're really crooked and yellow...oh just dreadful. Even though I had a lovely time with him and will see him again, I was just so disappointed. You see, up until then, I've either only seen him from afar, or in the dark with my glasses off. Do you think there's a way to politely drop a hint that he could get some orthodontic work done? I really really like him but I think this is something I wouldn't be able to put up with for a long time. Don't get me wrong, my teeth weren't the straightest either (though compared to his they were perfect) but I suffered through invisalign and braces, so since then, I'm afraid I've become super judgemental teeth wise.
    you do realise that braces take a year right? If you can't be with him now then it's really game over.

hahah yes, I know it would take a few years, during which time I'd totally want to date him, as long as there's some light at the end of the tunnel...

ReputationRep:

Would he like it if he told you had to get whatever you had wrong with you fixed? i.e boob job

ReputationRep:
    You -"What do you think of my teeth?"
    Him - "I think they are very nice"
    "Aw thanks, I wore braces and Im always so careful with them. I really appreciate nice, straight and white teeth"

Im sure he'd become conscious about his.

ReputationRep:
    I have crooked yellow teeth and thankfully my girlfriend of 3 years has never mentioned it. Which is odd because she's the kind of person who I was sure cared about that sort of thing as much as you obviously do. I've tried all sorts to make them better. I've had teeth removed cosmetically and tried various whitening products over the years cause I actually used to get quite depressed about them.

After all this time I'm sure they can't be as bad as I think they are but I hate them and; although noone ever really does comment on them other than my mum, the slightest mention of my teeth sends me into a paranoid state of zero confidence. So I really wouldn't recommend being straight up with him. If he's anything like me and he knows it's on your mind he won't be able to talk or kiss you with any real confidence because he'll be paranoid about putting you off with his horrid, maingey, crooked, yellow teeth.

I suppose you have to accept some of us are just really unlucky in the dental department. Maybe he just needs a lady to... 'apply the polish' as it were. :lol:

Hey, I totally understand - teeth are a huuuuge part of the attractiveness of someone's face! I used to have slightly crooked, yellowish teeth with a small gap in between the front ones but this year I got veneers - they took 2 weeks and a few visits and slight pain but they were SO WORTH IT. They've given me so much confidence! If money really is no object, I'd definitely suggest them for your guy. Also, you could try pointing out sexy guy celebs and saying that you love bright white smiles, but the whole you finding another guy attractive thing may put him off so maybe dont do that lol. You could always point out people who are around when the two of you are out, 'that girl has such a gorgeous white smile' for example? sounds silly but could work :-) good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you can't love someone for all their blemishes.. don't bother at all.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have quite a prominent overbite and I was really conscious of it. If anyone mentioned it, it really upset me and I felt embarrassed around them afterwards. I finally got braces when I was 14 and now my teeth are perfectly straight, and white. I know how awful it must feel, because nice teeth are important in making someone look good. But don't say anything to him because, however well-meaning you are, it will probably end up going wrong. You'll crush his confidence and there may actually be a reason why he hasn't had anything done so far. If you really like him, you'll be able to put those things aside and, if you do end up in a relationship with him, you could perhaps mention something when you're both older a few years down the line. Talking about your braces in a positive light might be a good idea: after all, best to get them free early on than have to pay £2000+ for private work when he's an adult. Whitening will cost hundreds, maybe into the thousands. Despite having money, his parents just might not be prepared to pay for that. If you can gauge that he's happy with them as they are, don't mention anything just yet. If, however, he wants to talk about them at some point, take the opportunity to suggest alternatives.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.