The Student Room Group

" How was your sleep "

Why do people say this? You're asleep when you're sleeping so how would you know. And when people say they love sleep, what they mean to say is they love the part between getting in bed and falling to sleep.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They just want to know if you had a decent amount of sleep, or nice dreams, or they're just being polite.
Reply 2
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Why do people say this? You're asleep when you're sleeping so how would you know. And when people say they love sleep, what they mean to say is they love the part between getting in bed and falling to sleep.

Mmm yes good effort at being philosophical there :rolleyes:

If you wake up all cranky having awoke perhaps several times during the night, you wouldn't classify that as a good night. If, however, you sleep comfortably with no disturbances and have nice dreams and awake feel refreshed, you consider that have sleeping well.

And I like sleeping because my life is better in my dreams.
Reply 3
Politeness?

Not all people sleep well either, maybe they took ages to get to sleep, maybe they kept waking up etc.
Reply 4
People ask because you would generally know if you have slept soundly for a good 7+ hours, as opposed to sweating and thrashing about as if Michael Jackson is in your bed. :colonhash:

MJ

1958-2009

:rip:
Original post by edd360
Mmm yes good effort at being philosophical there :rolleyes:

If you wake up all cranky having awoke perhaps several times during the night, you wouldn't classify that as a good night. If, however, you sleep comfortably with no disturbances and have nice dreams and awake feel refreshed, you consider that have sleeping well.

And I like sleeping because my life is better in my dreams.

No attempt at all, just makes sense tbh.
By this they mean if you've slept well?? Like if you don't feel tired or whatever. By loving sleep they mean going to bed and sleeping and not doing anything, I guess.
Reply 7

And when people say they love sleep, what they mean to say is they love the part between getting in bed and falling to sleep.

aye. Though what I love is the feeling when you wake up in the morning, especially now it's winter, and you can just snuggle up and go back to sleep.
Reply 8
Original post by sango
People ask because you would generally know if you have slept soundly for a good 7+ hours, as opposed to sweating and thrashing about as if Michael Jackson is in your bed. :colonhash:

MJ

1958-2009

:rip:

Why the Jackson reference? :confused:
Reply 9
You should try going to France, they ask you that question Every - Bloody - Morning. Did you sleep well? Yeah, yeah, did you? Wonderful. Here's some coffee in a bowl.
Reply 10
Original post by thecdon

Yeah, I did have a cringe binge after reading my post.

:getmecoat:
Isn't it pretty obvious?
Some people don't sleep well, they have disruptive sleep, waking up multiple times throughout the night. Others don't get enough sleep, or wake still feeling tired... It's self explanatory I would have thought.
Reply 12
Original post by thecdon

relevant?
Original post by joey11223
aye. Though what I love is the feeling when you wake up in the morning, especially now it's winter, and you can just snuggle up and go back to sleep.

Yes that's nice :smile:, except Ii've got gym tomorow gahhh
Reply 14
An unnecessary filler in hopes of coming across as if they give a **** about whether or not you had a good sleep.

Also I think when people say they love sleep, they probably just love being warm, being able to switch off, thinking of nothing and having awesome dreams, at least that is why I like it.
Original post by Linweth
An unnecessary filler in hopes of coming across as if they give a **** about whether or not you had a good sleep.

Also I think when people say they love sleep, they probably just love being warm, being able to switch off, thinking of nothing and having awesome dreams, at least that is why I like it.

Yeah my point, you love the idea of being warm, snuggled up and just having no-care... :P and yh, I've never asked that anyway, seems pointless.
I always take it to mean "do you feel refreshed?" when I hear that :smile: Obviously you can't analyse your own sleep.. but you can usually tell whether you've slept well or not.
Yes that's nice :smile:, except Ii've got gym tomorow gahhh

aww. I'm going to try and get up around 8:30 if the sky is clear tomorrow as I want to take some photos in the park, if it's cloudy I'll probably sleep in until like 11am..:biggrin:
No idea, it drives me nuts but that's cos I'm not sleeping well atm.
Original post by joey11223
aww. I'm going to try and get up around 8:30 if the sky is clear tomorrow as I want to take some photos in the park, if it's cloudy I'll probably sleep in until like 11am..:biggrin:
]

That sounds nice, just time alone kickin in taking some snaps, except........it's cold.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending