Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Footballer of the Year 2010 - The Nominations Watch

ReputationRep:
    Boredom and the cold have driven me to this as I am snowed in. I thought the thread on the Ballon D'Or was interesting as it threw up varying opinions on who TSR users believe should be voted the best player of the year based on their own unique criteria (some more unique than others ffs :facepalm2:).

So, what I propose is that anyone and everyone can make a nomination here for their player of the year, and then the top however many will go into a poll and we can vote for our definitive choice

Here are a few names to get you started and hopefully to start the debate, but you are free to vote for anyone you please. Even Aston Villa players

Messi – Undoubtedly the most talented player on the planet, 54 goals in 48 games for Barca this calendar year surely underlines what a phenomenon he is. 22 goals already this season... ridiculous. A mediocre world cup for Argentina will count against the little magician.

Ronaldo – A meagre 38 goals in 42 games for CR7 who ended a drought on the international scene at the world cup with a bizarre tap in against the North Koreans. Another player who could see his title aspirations undermined by an appalling manager at the world cup.

Sneijder – The favourite. An Italian double, the Champions League and a world cup final having lifted his team most of the way through the tournament. Let’s not forget that his goal scoring exploits in the summer were not exactly replicated in his club form previously, but an outstanding creator nevertheless.

Milito – His goals carried Inter through the season but is still an unfashionable choice. Not being able to break into his national team and shine in South Africa will go against him.

Heskey – The renaissance man. England’s standout performer at the world cup and the man we turned to when 4-1 down versus Germany with minutes to turn the game around. Continued this great form into the club scene and has since been begged to come back for England on two occasions by Capello. One to watch.

Bale – If this were based on cameo appearances, Gareth Bale would be a shoe-in. Since he broke into the Spurs team in January he has been a sensation, having broken into the continental arena through two career defining performances against the European champions.

Rooney – From January until March he was described by some on this forum as the greatest talent in world football, much to the ridicule of every other member. An outside bet but this community continues to amaze and confuse me.

Lampard – A token gesture really for the Chelsea fans, but really stood out in the title showdown and dragged his side to the title. Another brilliant goal scoring season for Frank, but a disallowed goal against Germany was his world cup highlight.

Lucio – ITV certainly hadn’t heard of him before his performances against the best strikers in the world in the spring, but has been a rock for the treble winners. Gareth Bale aside.

Pique – The best ball playing centre back in world football, and a United reject to boot. As part of the greatest club side in history and the current Spain setup, has to be considered.

Ashley Cole – England’s best and most consistent player, this is the best left back in world football today. Whether that counts for anything in a world where people want flair players winning the trophy, Cole is certainly someone to aspire towards for those stuck at left back because they aren’t good enough to play elsewhere.

Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets – Should probably be deserving of a paragraph each but they are just so tight as the fulcrum of Barcelona and Spain that it is hard to separate them. Xavi supposedly struggled at the world cup playing an unfamiliar position, and yet still excelled. Iniesta won the tournament with a well worked goal, whilst Busquet’s underrated ability to switch between midfield and defence is integral to his club side’s approach.

Forlan – Voted the world cup’s best player, the beautiful blonde locks of Diego will run the competition close. Let’s not forget he also fired Atletico to the Europa League but as a Channel 5 speciality no one really cares. Still, to drive Uruguay to the semi finals was no mean feat.

Müller – World Cup’s golden boot and Young Player of the World Cup, the talented German suffers because his club form isn’t recognised by many. Potential to go close in the future.

Villa – Spain’s top scorer in the summer, but missed out on the golden boot simply because he didn’t create as many as his rivals. Since his move to Barca he has been in prolific form, a neutral’s favourite but unlikely to prove a frontrunner here.
    These views are all completely objective and if you have any issues with the factual content please feel free to keep them to yourself

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, my vote is for Messi.

The greatest footballer on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    Not Rooney, and I'm a United fan.

ReputationRep:
    Heskey. Everyday Of the Week.

I'd rather him up top than torres.

ReputationRep:
    I can see this ending really well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Not Rooney, and I'm a United fan.
    Do you think he could ever win it? If he has a sensational year he'd still have to hope Messi, Ronaldo and whoever else turns up are dogged by injuries and a run of bad form. Unless of course he could pull off a world cup win in England 2018 :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    I can see this ending really well...
    I imagine Bale will win by a landslide, which is kind of why I made it :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Where's the voting poll thing ?

ReputationRep:
    Add Robben to that list. Unless he was being crowded out by 2/3 Inter or Spain players, he was unstoppable.

But Messi, easily for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
    Where's the voting poll thing ?
    I just want people to discuss and list their favourite here. Then I'll make a post with the poll in a week or so depending on the failure of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    DIDIER!??!?!?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I have to go for Messi due to 54 goals in 48 games, including 23 in 18 this season despite an injury. :eek3: However, Ronaldo has also been scintillating, and Xavi/Iniesta deserve a runners-up vote due to being world champions and Spanish champions.

ReputationRep:
    Messi will probably get it

Bale or Berbatov deserve it more, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    I imagine Bale will win by a landslide, which is kind of why I made it :teeth:
    Hmm. On another note, why the **** is Rooney on the shortlist? He has been acting like a spoilt **** all season ans has been crap. Bloody Scouse.

Oooh I can feel the Manc in me rising again!

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed Heskey's paragraph and read it properly. :lol::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    If it was just this season, Bale would probably come third behind Messi and Ronaldo.

ReputationRep:
    Oezil's been better than Ronaldo this season. Add him to the list as well :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not updating the list ffs, it was just who I happened to think of when I was writing it

Drogba, Robben, Ozil, Fabregas and Berbatov are all fine picks but I had to draw the line somewhere for my own sanity.

ReputationRep:
    Your sanity means nothing, this is for the footballer of the year. The likes of Berbatov, Defoe, Mikel and Nasri deserve a place.

ReputationRep:

This guy is an absolute beast... He could well win it sometime in the future
    Most underrated player on FM11 by far

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.