Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i work more than the agreed hours bt dnt get paid more Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    my manager makes me work more than the agreed hrs pw (i still have nt signed an agreement despite working for here for 2 months) BUT i dnt get paid for the extra hrs. say i am supposed to work for 20 hrs, she gives us a different timetable each week (our hrx change slightly each week) and i see each week that i actually work 1.5, 2 even 3 hrs more than i am meant to.

i was told by colleagues that i should not go and complain to her as she will just get angry. apparently, she told my supervisor that if we work more hours, on days when there is less work, i can ask to leave earlier BUT there is a lot to do everyday.!!!

what to do??????????????

ReputationRep:
    Why do you work the extra hours if you don't get paid for them? Either tell her that you want to get paid for the extra hours, or refuse to do the overtime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    Why do you work the extra hours if you don't get paid for them? Either tell her that you want to get paid for the extra hours, or refuse to do the overtime.
    simply because there is no other choice.

my colleagues told me tht they tried to do tht but the manager got angry.
    i want to tell my manger tht i want to be paid for the extra hrs tht i do.

thing is, everyone here works more than agreed and no one complains... i won't get the back-up of anyone and i need this because i am quite scared of my manager. i want to let go of this fear and confront her on monday BUT i also need to confront her on another issue and i know tht complaining to her will cost me my job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzme)
    simply because there is no other choice.

my colleagues told me tht they tried to do tht but the manager got angry.
    i want to tell my manger tht i want to be paid for the extra hrs tht i do.

thing is, everyone here works more than agreed and no one complains... i won't get the back-up of anyone and i need this because i am quite scared of my manager. i want to let go of this fear and confront her on monday BUT i also need to confront her on another issue and i know tht complaining to her will cost me my job.
    I still suggest being assertive and asking your manager. If she fires you because you questioned her about unpaid overtime im sure you could claim unfair dismissal.

Have you thought about joining a trade union and raising the issue with them? Im sure she'd be less aggressive when being confronted with a union representative. Also, you could go to these guys http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461 for legal help.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Are you including breaks? Most places have unpaid breaks. If you're supposed to work 20 hours that's probably 3 days, which would mean an unpaid break of 30mins each day left you "working" 1.5 hours extra. But you're not actually working, you're just having a break.

ReputationRep:
    You really should sign an agreement with them as soon as possible. At the moment if your manager gets angry with you and you loose your job you will most likely not be able to appeal the dismissal because you have never entered into a legal agreement with your employer. Im not 100% sure about this but I think thats the way it works. Another advantage of signing an agreement would be that you could agree on a number of hours and possibly payment of overtime for extra hours.
    Do the other employees have agreements? If once you have an agreement with them you are still working unpaid overtime and there is no other way out you would then be in a position to take legal action against them.
    Good Luck, u should not be working for no pay so just stick up 4 ur rights!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.