Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tried and tested scar treatments? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've had a cut on my arm for 3 weeks now, and a few days ago it occurred to me that it had finished healing, i.e. the scab had been and gone and it was going to look like this forever (it's still very pink so I'm guessing this will reduce in time?) and it was very upsetting.

I've been looking into scar treatments and the such, but most of them are for use when the wound is still healing, which I'm not sure mine counts as anymore (although it is hard to tell tbh). There are so many different scar treatments for all different types of scars at all different stages of healing so it's difficult to know which one may work best for me. Like I said it's very pink in colour, and the skin is still 'dented' where it had been cut (it was a deep cut) which ruled out some of the treatments designed for raised scars. I think I've cut it down to Neosporin and Vitamin E capsules broken onto the skin...so I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried either of these, and if they worked? Or if anyone can recommend anything for the scar that I have?

Thanks v. much

ReputationRep:
    i have a few scars and stretchmarks, some of my scars are really bad from a quad biking accident last year. In all honesty the best treatments i've used is Palmers coco butter cream for stretchmarks. its cheap and works!

EDIT: also vitamin e and zinc is good for skin regeneration so start taking a supplement

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I've heard about cocoa butter! Thanks I will give it a try
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I used this:

worked pretty well on some deep scars, they're still kind of visible but I think given how deep they were it's done a good job, they are white/skin colorish now and flat.

ReputationRep:
    Bio-oil used it for the scars on my face and its worked pretty well

ReputationRep:
    If it's still pink and indented, it hasn't finished healing completely- in time it should fade to white on it's own, but if you're worried about it I've heard that bio oil is really good for most scars. I've got a huge "scar" on my back, but I don't consider it a proper scar yet because it's still really red and indented, even though it's 3 months old...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleeece123)
    If it's still pink and indented, it hasn't finished healing completely- in time it should fade to white on it's own, but if you're worried about it I've heard that bio oil is really good for most scars. I've got a huge "scar" on my back, but I don't consider it a proper scar yet because it's still really red and indented, even though it's 3 months old...

Okay thanks, this is helpul
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Palmers cocoa butter is good, but any body lotion will moisturise it and help, especially those with vitamin E in.
    Bio-oil might also help, but it usually takes longer to see a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by make-cookies-not-war)
    Hi all,

I've had a cut on my arm for 3 weeks now, and a few days ago it occurred to me that it had finished healing, i.e. the scab had been and gone and it was going to look like this forever (it's still very pink so I'm guessing this will reduce in time?) and it was very upsetting.

I've been looking into scar treatments and the such, but most of them are for use when the wound is still healing, which I'm not sure mine counts as anymore (although it is hard to tell tbh). There are so many different scar treatments for all different types of scars at all different stages of healing so it's difficult to know which one may work best for me. Like I said it's very pink in colour, and the skin is still 'dented' where it had been cut (it was a deep cut) which ruled out some of the treatments designed for raised scars. I think I've cut it down to Neosporin and Vitamin E capsules broken onto the skin...so I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried either of these, and if they worked? Or if anyone can recommend anything for the scar that I have?

Thanks v. much
    Definitely try bio oil

ReputationRep:
    Bio oil!!! I took most of the skin off my nose this summer and started using it religiously after 3 months when I still had a wacking scar there. After one month it's practically invisible except on close inspection!
    My doctor said that Vitamin E has recently studied by the American Dematology Institute (or something like that) and they've had mixed results, so definitely go for Bio-oil!

ReputationRep:
    I've just been rubbing Vitamin E in liquid form on mine

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.