Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hi guys,

    I just want to ask is it possible to do a separate degree to law in a UK university or Australian university.

    (Not a double degree) But actually 2 full, independent degrees in the time period of one degree by the means of taking more classes, etc.

    And also in the US they can do a minor with a major right?

    Will the major be credible as one independent major comparable to majors traditionally taken by themselves such as in the UK or Australia?

    Thanks guys.

    I don't really know that well, but often taking one degree is enough especially when you get to third year study. I don't know about you but I'm sure myself and many others would struggle under that workload and you really would have to consider how much of a social life you wanted at Uni. As to whether it would get extra recognition, I think it would depend on what you want to study, but would you rather have two 2:2's than a 1st ? Personally I would just be simple and do a combined honours. It would suit someone your needs!
    • Thread Starter

    Combined honours is still like a double degree right?

    Honours is like an upgrade to the current degree right?


    Combined honours is a basically half of two different degrees joined together to make one e.g "English Literature and History" where each side of the course is evenly weighted i.e 50%

    Alternatively you can do a subject with another subject, for example "English Literature with Creative Writing" which is usually something like a 75%-25% split.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.