The Student Room Group

How are these GCSE grades for top universities?

Yes I know you're all sick of these topics and I'm sorry I'd just like to get an idea as I'm in Year 12 atm. I got 3A*s 6As at GCSE. Would these be considered weak compared to others? Especially as I'm considering course like Maths, Physics and Engineering (not sure what I want to do). Help is appreciated.
That's really good GCSE grades and depending on how well you do in A Levels I'm sure you will be fine to do whatever degree you want to do at University
This cannot be real...

I got into LSE with less than that - you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Yes of course they are good enough. But it's more important that your A levels are up to scratch and that you do enough other stuff outside of academia.
Really? This is such an attention seeking troll thread it's untrue. Considering you have so many A's I'm surprised you don't have the academic fortitude to look at the required grades for said top universities?

Seriously...such a waste of a thread. We get it your grades are great, but spare us the conceited ego-trip please.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
This cannot be real...

I got into LSE with less than that - you'll be fine.

Yeah sorry. it's just that you see quite a lot of people on here with 9 or 10 A*s and I feel like mine are put down because of it though.
Original post by vedderfan94
Yeah sorry. it's just that you see quite a lot of people on here with 9 or 10 A*s and I feel like mine are put down because of it though.

TSR is not a good comparison - of course people here are overachievers, they've voluntarily joined a forum based around education.
Reply 7
Original post by HighestKungFu
Really? This is such an attention seeking troll thread it's untrue. Considering you have so many A's I'm surprised you don't have the academic fortitude to look at the required grades for said top universities?

Seriously...such a waste of a thread. We get it your grades are great, but spare us the conceited ego-trip please.

Well considering there are people down over at the UCL applicants thread getting rejected for economics left,right and center despite having 10-12A*'s and straight A's at AS and near enough straight A* predictions I don't think his fears are unfound. Same for medicine btw.

Though however I have to admit unless your doing humanities the OP's GCSE's are generally more than enough to get you into the top universities for maths, physics and engineering provided you do well in your maths and physics A-level. I for one practically walked into a physics offer from UCL and Warwick and I had one less total A/A* than the OP.

The only one I'd say you need to worry a tiny bit about OP is oxbridge but even then with great AS, predictions and motivation GCSE's won't be a problem.
Original post by Fat-Love
Well considering there are people down over at the UCL applicants thread getting rejected for economics left,right and center despite having 10-12A*'s and straight A's at AS and near enough straight A* predictions I don't think his fears are unfound. Same for medicine btw.

Though however I have to admit unless your doing humanities the OP's GCSE's are generally more than enough to get you into the top universities for maths, physics and engineering provided you do well in your maths and physics A-level. I for one practically walked into a physics offer from UCL and Warwick and I had one less total A/A* than the OP.

The only one I'd say you need to worry a tiny bit about OP is oxbridge but even then with great AS, predictions and motivation GCSE's won't be a problem.

This is a fair point but there is a plethora of threads and material already on this subject. We really REALLY do not need another thread like this, and as I said originally, the information is widely available elsewhere as well.
Reply 9
I have similar GCSE grades as you (4A* 5A 1B) and I have an interview for Cambridge (although whether I'll get in is another matter entirely) and also have offers from Warwick and Cardiff which I believe are "top" unis. I was worried sick that mine wouldn't be good enough after being on TSR but trust me, those grades are more than adequate, just focus on getting good AS grades now and you'll be fine.

Good luck :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending