Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Social Science's Are Not A Science! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, Psychology and sociology are not a science, standing around outside Mcdonalds with a clip board asking about dreams is so unscientific.

ReputationRep:
    YOUR FACE is not a science.

ReputationRep:
    So what is a Science?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well sometimes bits of science do creep in to areas of Psychology. But yeah, I guess they're not science in the way that Biology, Chemistry and Physics are. But meh, I don't really care what they are classed as to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    :troll:

Seriously you cannot be this stupid to think that psychology is about asking people about dreams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Seriously, Psychology and sociology are not a science, standing around outside Mcdonalds with a clip board asking about dreams is so unscientific.
    Is this the place to "ask" this question? People are applying to university, many of them for psychology and sociology, and you're here putting down the course? It's quite a low blow really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutralmilkhotel)
    Is this the place to "ask" this question? People are applying to university, many of them for psychology and sociology, and you're here putting down the course? It's quite a low blow really.
    Welcome to TSR, I see you are new here. This is what people do. Either he truly believes they're not a Science, or he's a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Welcome to TSR, I see you are new here. This is what people do. Either he truly believes they're not a Science, or he's a troll.
    Im a girl.

ReputationRep:
    I see.

ReputationRep:
    It's true that Psychology is nearing to a more scientific approach, in using scientific methods, technology, and with its practical application.

ReputationRep:
    Im a girl.
    Good for you. Doesn't change anything.

I see.
    It's quite a common belief around here that Social Sciences are faux Sciences or mickey mouse degrees, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you. Doesn't change anything.
    im sure there is some psychological bull**** to how it does.
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's pretty silly for them to put "Science" in the name then isn't it

ReputationRep:
    im sure there is some psychological bull**** to how it does.
    Quite possibly, but for the purposes of this argument and my opinion of you, it changes nothing.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite a common belief around here that Social Sciences are faux Sciences or mickey mouse degrees, sadly.
    I'm not surprised. This place has got it's fair share of pompous child prodigies.

No, it's a social science, yet why it's called that. :wtf:

ReputationRep:
      I'm not surprised. This place has got it's fair share of pompous child prodigies.
      And pretentious music ******s.

ReputationRep:
      And pretentious music ******s.
      Thanks. Nice use of the word "******" there - that's not offensive at all.

ReputationRep:
      They aren't Natural Sciences.

They are Social Sciences.

Which is why they have different names.

It isn't that difficult really when you think about it.

ReputationRep:
      I'm not saying this because I'm applying for psychology, but I don't think you can give an opinion on it as you have never studied psychology or sociology yourself.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.