The Student Room Group

uxbridge vs wandsworth !!!!!

Poll

Wandsworth or Uxbridge

Im in UEA at the moment and hate Norwich.
im going to drop out and either change to Brunel or Roehampton
Other people might be able to live in different places in London mind and soul
iv never been to either borough which one closest (atmosphere wise) to central london like hackney,Islington city etc
I no longer care about league table nonsense from first hand experience it does not matter what matters is the area if you happy where you are.

Scroll to see replies

You hate Norwich? Why? What could possibly be wrong with Norwich. Christ I lived in Uxbridge for a year and coming back to Norwich was such a relief.
I live in Ickenham/Uxbridge. It's quite a nice area tbh and great transport by train. Can take the Met, Picadilly and Central line from nearby stations.
Reply 3
Original post by HumanNature1992
I live in Ickenham/Uxbridge. It's quite a nice area tbh and great transport by train. Can take the Met, Picadilly and Central line from nearby stations.

im not asking about train lines im talking about atmosphere is it alive like London are there lots of newsagents, chicken shops, fast bus services (every 2min), lots of bus stops, different races and types of people, lots of high roads/streets, lots of shopping stores (tesco, sainsburys, asda, morrisons) etc
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Norfolkadam
You hate Norwich? Why? What could possibly be wrong with Norwich. Christ I lived in Uxbridge for a year and coming back to Norwich was such a relief.

not a single off license. 1 newsagent , a post office on the second floor of a bloody shopping centre, waiting 30min for the bus and then waiting 5min on each bus stop, nothing to do , white faces more white faces and a little more white faces, inbred locales, no laundrette, overprices shops and the list goes on...............
Original post by dontknow1
im not asking about train lines im talking about atmosphere is it alive like London are there lots of newsagents, chicken shops, fast bus services (every 2min), lots of bus stops, different races and types of people, etc

Its quite boring tbh and no its not like London hence why I suggested the train lines. There are a few newsagents and rarely any (good) chicken shops/restaurants. All the Brunel students spend their time in the "Chimes" which is the major shopping centre. Its a predominantly white area and its what you'd expect greater London to be like, its not alive like central London. Bus stops are decent though but I cant wait to leave to a big town for uni!
Reply 6
Its quite boring tbh and no its not like London hence why I suggested the train lines. There are a few newsagents and rarely any (good) chicken shops/restaurants. All the Brunel students spend their time in the "Chimes" which is the major shopping centre. Its a predominantly white area and its what you'd expect greater London to be like, its not alive like central London. Bus stops are decent though but I cant wait to leave to a big town for uni!

so i guess i should forget about Brunel
Reply 7
Im in UEA at the moment and hate Norwich.
im going to drop out and either change to Brunel or Roehampton
Other people might be able to live in different places in London mind and soul
iv never been to either borough which one closest (atmosphere wise) to central london like hackney,Islington city etc
I no longer care about league table nonsense from first hand experience it does not matter what matters is the area if you happy where you are.

You are aware that Roehampton Uni is ranked at 101st, and Brunel is 49th? I really don't think there is much debate in it really.
Uxbridge is disgusting. Roehampton University is next to a huge, vile council estate.
Bruneeeeel!
so i guess i should forget about Brunel

Mate go for which is better for your course. And I advise you to visit both unis and both areas to get a feel for it for yourself. It doesnt have the "Central London" vibe because its greater London - but in my opinion 20-25 min by train to get into Central London isnt a bad thing at all.
not a single off license. 1 newsagent , a post office on the second floor of a bloody shopping centre, waiting 30min for the bus and then waiting 5min on each bus stop, nothing to do , white faces more white faces and a little more white faces, inbred locales, no laundrette, overprices shops and the list goes on...............

I can think of at least 5 off licences off the top of my head plus all of the supermarkets and Majestic Wine Warehouse. Even more newsagents, I mean you are spoilt for choice for newsagents so quite how you got the idea there was just 1 is a joke. There's the one opposite Jarrolds and the one out the back of Primark for a start, I could list the rest but there's not much point. If you don't want to go to the Post Office in the Mall then there's the one just past the Sainsburys near the bus station or the one at Fiveways just by the University; the Post Office in Uxbridge is upstairs in WH Smith and there's always a queue there.

The buses to the Uni are every 10 minutes so I don't know which bus you've been waiting for but I wouldn't expect it to be any different in Uxbridge, the U3 is supposed to be every 10-15 minutes but you usually end up waiting 20 minutes and presumably you've lived in London so you know how often you can end up waiting ages for a bus.

There's 6 or 7 laundrettes in Norwich but generally it's not so deprived that people can afford their own washing machines so I don't see how that detracts greatly from the city, I'm sure the campus has plenty of laundrettes for people who need them. The shops can't really be overpriced if they're part of a chain, I mean H&M, Tesco, Sainsburys etc have the same prices here as everywhere else and you're comparing it to London which is, actually, overpriced, I know M&S put an extra 15p on their food prices in their London shops.

I can't really help it if you're racist, Norwich isn't exactly the world's most ethnically diverse city but the campus is quite diverse.

Norwich has way more facilities, shops and things to do than Uxbridge or Roehampton. London is an hour (at least) from Brunel so it's hardly just down the road. I mean, I can understand why people want to live in London but it's clear you haven't given Norwich a fair chance or done any research into finding newsagents, post offices, off licences or laundrettes and are basically slagging it off because there are too many white people which sounds a little bit racist to me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Mate go for which is better for your course. And I advise you to visit both unis and both areas to get a feel for it for yourself. It doesnt have the "Central London" vibe because its greater London - but in my opinion 20-25 min by train to get into Central London isnt a bad thing at all.

Which train have you been taking that's 20-25 minutes into central London. If you leave Brunel at 09:30 then it's 10:30 before you get to Paddington on the FGW Line and about 10:40 before you get to Baker Street. It's at least an hour to get to most places that aren't Harrow or Heathrow or Uxbridge.

Also I don't know what you mean by Uxbridge being a 'predominantly white area'. I don't think you can use that term to mean 'there are some white people'. At Brunel the biggest society is ACS followed by iSoc (Afro-Caribbean and Islam), the street my friends live on is entirely Asian apart from them and just walking through the town centre will show how diverse it is. It might not be Peckham or Camberwell but it's certainly not as white as those villagey areas like Ickenham or Rickmansworth.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Norfolkadam
Which train have you been taking that's 20-25 minutes into central London. If you leave Brunel at 09:30 then it's 10:30 before you get to Paddington on the FGW Line and about 10:40 before you get to Baker Street. It's at least an hour to get to most places that aren't Harrow or Heathrow or Uxbridge.

Also I don't know what you mean by Uxbridge being a 'predominantly white area'. I don't think you can use that term to mean 'there are some white people'. At Brunel the biggest society is ACS followed by iSoc (Afro-Caribbean and Islam), the street my friends live on is entirely Asian apart from them and just walking through the town centre will show how diverse it is. It might not be Peckham or Camberwell but it's certainly not as white as those villagey areas like Ickenham or Rickmansworth.

Yeah sorry I may have undermined the time it takes to get to London - it's probably longer than that.

Well, in my estimation it seemed that way. I dont go to Brunel - I live in Ickenham and go to uxbridge quite regularly and in my observation there are a LOT of white people. I mean in comparison to say somewhere like Harrow where I went to school.
Roehampton is a dump, take it from someone who is born and bred s. London. Uxbridge is a better area.
You should really look at the course structure too see if it suits you. Also when you have time take a trip round the universities and surrounding area and then make a decision as whether you like the uni.
Reply 16
Original post by jessyfantastic90
You should really look at the course structure too see if it suits you. Also when you have time take a trip round the universities and surrounding area and then make a decision as whether you like the uni.

if uxbridge is a hour from london city and its not like london atmospherically then it seems to me that leaving UEA to go to Brunel is a stupid idea. From goggle maps roehampton appears to have the london vibe. Im going to visit both places. Do you know how far roehampton is from london city /Oxford street
Reply 17
Original post by Jimbo1234
You are aware that Roehampton Uni is ranked at 101st, and Brunel is 49th? I really don't think there is much debate in it really.

what table are you looking at lol
what table are you looking at lol

This one :rolleyes:.
Reply 19
Original post by Jimbo1234

well the guardian and complete university guide a very different story
I don't know which ranking is more reliable
English subject wise roehampton is in the middle
but then if I don't like uxbridge then its stupid for me to leave a top uni like UEA since my excuse for leaving is I don't like Norwich. What i need is amenities close by I don't want to have to walk for 30min to get to the closest shop. A hardcore gym nearby, a sainsburys, a newsagent , a laundrette if these thing are at hand then I will go Brunel since I can always go to london when ever i want as underground is much cheaper then national express also I will still have the lovely polluted london air to breath. I needs that poison.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending