Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to chase money from ex-roommates? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This situation seems to be common in the states than in the UK (so googling hasn't been entirely helpful)... Hopefully someone here has been in a similar situtation and can help

The situation...

I moved into a student house a year ago, and some other people moved in with me (different contracts).

The bills ended up being my responsibility (although in the landlords name) and to avoid complications I always paid them right away.

One of my roomates made good on anything outstanding every month, the other always promised to pay (I have written proof via facebook messages)...

Anyway we all moved out last month, and he refused to give anyone his address (even the landlord, meaning he has left a 250 deposit)...

I contacted him on facebook and outlined what he owed and asked for a contactable address, to which he effectivly told me to go jump and blocked me.

... Question is how can I move forward with this? and get what he owes me (it's 4 figures so worth chasing)

p.s I don't get free legal aid

ReputationRep:
    If your name is on the contracts for services there is nothing you can do.

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Kyle?

Hmmm he sounds like a n**.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitra1000)
    he has left a 250 deposit
    First of all, see if you can get that deposit back, and take that as part of the payment.

Second of all, you go to the same University, you know what course he's on, you can find out his details.

Personally, I'd pursue the extra-legal route, avec un cricket bat, but it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you to be more careful next time and not so trusting

ReputationRep:
    Okay just to provide a quick update because I know this situation is common with douchbag roommates ten a penny.

First all if they have no money then don't bother courts aren't very effective of getting blood from stones however if they have a full time job then your in luck. I say this as the only enforcement option worth while is a attachment of earnings all other options don't work if they simply choose not to answer the door to a bailiff.

you'll need..
    Their last known address (even if they don't live there anymore)
    Their employers address
    Proof if the debt, tenancy agreement or Facebook messages work

First write to them informing them that you will be taking court action in 14 days unless payment is made in full. Then its a case of submitting the request through the money claim online government website, follow that process and eventually they will either pay up (with added court costs and interest) or you can choose an enforcement option which as their working should be an attachment of earnings which will take x amount directly put of their pay cheque.

Do all this and hopefully you will teach a them a painful (and very expensive) lesson. My old roommate is now having £100 takn out of his pay by his employer and his debt has increased by £300 for court costs.

ReputationRep:
    Okay just to provide a quick update because I know this situation is common with douchbag roommates ten a penny.

First all if they have no money then don't bother courts aren't very effective of getting blood from stones however if they have a full time job then your in luck. I say this as the only enforcement option worth while is a attachment of earnings all other options don't work if they simply choose not to answer the door to a bailiff.

you'll need..
    Their employers address

First write to them informing them that you will be taking court action in 14 days unless payment is made in full. Then its a case of submitting the request through the money claim online government website, follow that process and eventually they will either pay up (with added court costs and interest) or you can choose an enforcement option which as their working should be an attachment of earnings which will take x amount directly put of their pay cheque.

Do all this and hopefully you will teach a them a painful (and very expensive) lesson. My old roommate is now having £100 takn out of his pay by his employer and his debt has increased by £300 for court costs.
    props to you! Glad to hear you got it sorted and gave the b*****d what he deserved!

ReputationRep:

you'll need..
    Their employers address

Well played, sir.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.