Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

England host 2018 world cup? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is largely debateable as to whether events such as these are a benefit or drain to society.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I doubt it would be as bad as South Africa if it turns out to be a drain.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, isn't the world ending in 2012?

ReputationRep:
    Aren't world cups usually better when the host country does well? In which case it will be a crap world cup.

ReputationRep:
    when will we find out that we've won?

ReputationRep:
    England 2018 - I bloody hope not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Aren't world cups usually better when the host country does well? In which case it will be a crap world cup.
    How do you define "doing well"?

I know SA failed on the pitch this year but I rather enjoyed it and USA 94 was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    How do you define "doing well"?

I know SA failed on the pitch this year but I rather enjoyed it and USA 94 was brilliant.
    True, I was taking the piss and it's a media cliche really, but they are different because that was the first time that the world cup was hosted in those countries. If England perform in 2018 like we did this year then I can see it being a bit crap.

ReputationRep:
    I think the WC, if held here, will be better than the Olympics as the WC will be spread out all over the country.

I know the WC and Olympics are huge events but I think more people actually would attend WC games than Olympic events (although taking into account the volume of events it could be hard to calculate)

Whether or not its worth having, I don;t know. Its a lot of hassle. On the plus side I assume the amount of work that we need to do will be less than the Ilypics which have very high demands. I guess we just need to improve certain stadiums and their facilities.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, please no. Football hooligans-a-go-go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I think the WC, if held here, will be better than the Olympics as the WC will be spread out all over the country.

I know the WC and Olympics are huge events but I think more people actually would attend WC games than Olympic events (although taking into account the volume of events it could be hard to calculate)

Whether or not its worth having, I don;t know. Its a lot of hassle. On the plus side I assume the amount of work that we need to do will be less than the Ilypics which have very high demands. I guess we just need to improve certain stadiums and their facilities.
    Spread over the country, do we need to show the world the ****hole known as Leeds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    True, I was taking the piss and it's a media cliche really, but they are different because that was the first time that the world cup was hosted in those countries. If England perform in 2018 like we did this year then I can see it being a bit crap.
    Spain didn't do that well in 1982 (just one win in five games) but that didn't affect a brilliant and highly entertaining classic world cup.

Russia should get it, as they have never had it before and have so much potential. 2022 I am OK with either Oz or the USA - I remember the 94 cup and it was great fun.

Besides, England hosted Euro 96 and got to the semis but does not hide the fact it was a diabolically bad football tournament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KNOB-head)
    when will we find out that we've won?
    Thursday 2nd December 3PM.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't mind. Hopefully by then I'll be financially empowered enough to go to it wherever it is. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    The Olympics is a considerably better spectator event than the world cup. I much prefer Olympic Games to World Cups.

With the Olympics, you get a great variety of sports/games, so much coverage of the different games, so many different personalities etc...

If we were offered either the chance to host the Olympics or the World Cup, would always be the Olympics for me.

You do just wonder if it's overkill hosting the Olympics in 2012 and then a potential world cup in 2018...and whether we can finance the two events.

ReputationRep:
    I assure you England will be out by the quarter finals, making it a fail world cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    The Olympics is a considerably better spectator event than the world cup. I much prefer Olympic Games to World Cups.

With the Olympics, you get a great variety of sports/games, so much coverage of the different games, so many different personalities etc...

If we were offered either the chance to host the Olympics or the World Cup, would always be the Olympics for me.

You do just wonder if it's overkill hosting the Olympics in 2012 and then a potential world cup in 2018...and whether we can finance the two events.
    With all the cuts Cameron's making, I am sure we can finance them. Plus don't forget all the money generated from the events including the tax on items tourists will purchase whilst here.

ReputationRep:
    We got Olympics 2012, I'd be surprised if we get WC 2018 (even though I think we are the best for it).

News says we will need to get the French vote - can't see that.

Can anyone find a clip of their reaction to 2012?

Here's Chicago losing 2018 bid.

ReputationRep:
    England should get it.

But we won't.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.oddschecker.com/football/...-cup/2018-host

We're favourites, apparently.

I think we'll get it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.