Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interview Clash Oxford/UCL Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for English at both Oxford and UCL, and have been invited to interview by both, something I'm immensely happy about.

Bad news is the dates/times etc overlap. I have no way of getting from the Oxford interview 'experience', which finishes at 2:00, to the UCL one, which starts at 1:45.

How do I get around this dilemma? An honest explanation to either will ultimately demonstrate that I am choosing one over the other, and I'm not even sure if either would be willing to rearrange for another day. I'm tempted to cite 'personal reasons', but I'm not sure if this would cut it and whether I'd get another shot at interview. Frankly, both made it sound as if the scheduling of the interviews was non-negotiable.

Any help/advice/information would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanuman)
    I'm applying for English at both Oxford and UCL, and have been invited to interview by both, something I'm immensely happy about.

Bad news is the dates/times etc overlap. I have no way of getting from the Oxford interview 'experience', which finishes at 2:00, to the UCL one, which starts at 1:45.

How do I get around this dilemma? An honest explanation to either will ultimately demonstrate that I am choosing one over the other, and I'm not even sure if either would be willing to rearrange for another day. I'm tempted to cite 'personal reasons', but I'm not sure if this would cut it and whether I'd get another shot at interview. Frankly, both made it sound as if the scheduling of the interviews was non-negotiable.

Call them up and ask for a change?
    Im sure they will understand the situation.

ReputationRep:

call whichevers not your first choice and say you have a hospital appt or something which cant be rearranged.. i have no idea if its a similar thing but for my chemistry interview at ucl there were loads of people there that day and they did like one interview day a week so it wouldve been fine to swap. no idea about oxford though..?

ReputationRep:
    just ring up the last university to offer you an interview and tell them that you already have an interview that day so can you re-arrange it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as said above.
    If you say it in a way so that they know you're rearranging theirs because they were the second to offer you then it should be fine.
    Just say some something like "I've just received an interview offer from you but I already have one booked for that day"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Yeah, as said above.
    If you say it in a way so that they know you're rearranging theirs because they were the second to offer you then it should be fine.
    Just say some something like "I've just received an interview offer from you but I already have one booked for that day"
    This.

You dont need to say what uni has also offered you an interview, just that another has.

ReputationRep:

Hi
    Just out of curiosity, was wondering what you did to sort out the problem and what happened?
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.