Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to go to the AFCO next week to sit the RAF aptitude tests to become an airman. I have a couple of questions.

What did you wear to do this?

What was everyone else wearing?

Did you find it hard?

How much did you revise for it?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the forum. If you use the search facility you will find your questions have all been asked dozens of times before.
    However, dress smart (it can't hurt can it?), don't worry about everyone else (it is about you, not them), you might find it hard and if you want it, look into what the tests are and prepare as best you can.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/applic...itudetests.cfm

Top tip that i've been told is to look smart everytime you attend the AFCO. If you dont have a suit, you can pick one up quite cheap from places like Matalan.

There should be some practise tests somewhere on the website. If you struggle with some aspects of them try searching for practise ones on google. I've been looking at bbc bitesize for help with the electrical comprehension ones, and maths.

What trade are you applying for? Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I did my aptitude tests in jeans, but thats just because they said it was fine when I asked about the dress code. Everyone else was in suits but when I pointed that out the sgt said it doesn't matter because that wasn't the dress code.

However, for the P2 presentation I attended suited and booted. I think it depends on the AFCO, but if in doubt, dress smart.

Try BBC Bitesize for the electrical comprehension. Practice fractions calculations and quick maths. Other then that, relax and just go as quick as you can.

ReputationRep:
    ah ok. I think I'll wear trousers, shoes and a nice jumper or something for it then. I am doing the aptitude tests then he said we are having a presentation straight after it.

I think I should do ok on them. I'm quite good with things like that.

I am applying for the Personnel Support role. I have heard it is quite competitive though so we will see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern)
    I am applying for the Personnel Support role. I have heard it is quite competitive though so we will see.
    Don't be under any illusions, all roles are competitive now, there are far more applicants than there are spaces.

ReputationRep:
    I had my last week and wore a suit. There were five of us, only one other person dressed smartly the rest were wearing trainers, jeans, hoodies etc... Personally i would rather be overdressed than underdressed.

Also i did revise for it, mainly on the parts i found hard, which for me were Mechanical and Electriacal Comprehension because i haven't used them since i did my GCSE's. I did also revise the rest but not as much as the two previously answered questions. I found some bits of the aptitude harder than others but if you do some revision then you shouldn't have too much trouble passing the tests and getting the mark for your chosen trade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadocvao)
    I had my last week and wore a suit. There were five of us, only one other person dressed smartly the rest were wearing trainers, jeans, hoodies etc... Personally i would rather be overdressed than underdressed.

Also i did revise for it, mainly on the parts i found hard, which for me were Mechanical and Electriacal Comprehension because i haven't used them since i did my GCSE's. I did also revise the rest but not as much as the two previously answered questions. I found some bits of the aptitude harder than others but if you do some revision then you shouldn't have too much trouble passing the tests and getting the mark for your chosen trade.
    cool, thanks. How did you get on with it? What score you get?

ReputationRep:
    As many have said above, I went in a shirt, tie, smart trousers & polished shoes etc.

The other person who was also there turned up in Trackie bots and a mud covered jumper!! and apparently they were also applying to the AAC as a Pilot.

But as also said above, I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed and looking like a bag of ****.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, good luck,

and im just wondering, after you sent off your application, how many days was it until you recieved a phone call regarding taking your aptitude tests?

ReputationRep:
    AzzMan,

Did you send yours off online? If so you should receive a couple of email's saying that your local AFCO have received it.

Then give it a day or two.

Best of Luck

ReputationRep:
    Erm no i ant recieved an email saying that.. i rang the afco today.. and they said they dont deal with it id have to ring the main RAF line :/

ReputationRep:
    AzzMan,

Trust me, I went through the same process around 2 months ago, you will receive the emails about a week after you submitted your application online!.

ReputationRep:
    I submitted it last thursday.. hopefully ill recieve one then!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.