Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I am at the University of Edinburgh at the moment, studying as a first year student. My degree programme is Economics. I missed my firm offer last year, and I ended up at Edinburgh. So I was thinking of transferring to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, and Warwick. I do not mind starting from first year again but second year entry would be good as well.
    Im currently getting a first from all my assessments so far, so can anyone help me, if you have any advice or experience?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are you having that bad a time at Edinburgh? Could always just move on afterwards and do a Masters or Phd at the other universities.

ReputationRep:
    I really like edinburgh, but those universities are slightly better, im prolly not gonna transfer now, the difference isnt huge because i cant transfer to oxbridge, so i can only go to LSE, UCL, Warwick which arent a lot better than edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10realmadrid)
    Hey,
    I am at the University of Edinburgh at the moment, studying as a first year student. My degree programme is Economics. I missed my firm offer last year, and I ended up at Edinburgh. So I was thinking of transferring to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, and Warwick. I do not mind starting from first year again but second year entry would be good as well.
    Im currently getting a first from all my assessments so far, so can anyone help me, if you have any advice or experience?

Thanks
    Oh you were, were you?

You might like to know that Oxford certainly doesn't take people into Year 2 for PPE; I have no idea about the others but I suspect it's unlikely that they allow it. And, of course, even if they did allow it you would need to demonstrate that you were up to it, and that your first year at Edinburgh will have been compatible with and provide an appropriate foundation for their degree programme. This is unlikely, to be frank, since the first year of the Scottish system is quite different, but you would have to check.

You can apply to start again if you want to, but of course you have missed the deadline for Oxbridge this year. For the others you have until 15 January, but you would need to get references from your current tutors, particularly since you missed your offers this year. You may be getting firsts in your work so far at Edinburgh but it is early days yet and all of those universities will expect an extremely high standard to be maintained over longer than a few weeks.

Whether you intended it or not, your post comes across as though you think you are 'too good' for Edinburgh. I'd ditch that thinking, pronto, if I were you. Which university you are at matters a very great deal less in the job marketplace than you think. What does matter is what you achieve while you are there are, and the use you make of the opportunities available to you. Wasting your time/distracting yourself with daydreams about transferring to another university won't help you to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Oh you were, were you?

You might like to know that Oxford certainly doesn't take people into Year 2 for PPE; I have no idea about the others but I suspect it's unlikely that they allow it. And, of course, even if they did allow it you would need to demonstrate that you were up to it, and that your first year at Edinburgh will have been compatible with and provide an appropriate foundation for their degree programme. This is unlikely, to be frank, since the first year of the Scottish system is quite different, but you would have to check.

You can apply to start again if you want to, but of course you have missed the deadline for Oxbridge this year. For the others you have until 15 January, but you would need to get references from your current tutors, particularly since you missed your offers this year. You may be getting firsts in your work so far at Edinburgh but it is early days yet and all of those universities will expect an extremely high standard to be maintained over longer than a few weeks.

Whether you intended it or not, your post comes across as though you think you are 'too good' for Edinburgh. I'd ditch that thinking, pronto, if I were you. Which university you are at matters a very great deal less in the job marketplace than you think. What does matter is what you achieve while you are there are, and the use you make of the opportunities available to you. Wasting your time/distracting yourself with daydreams about transferring to another university won't help you to do that.
    Well if u read my post, I said I do not mind transferring to FIRST YEAR, and that is my aim, so its basically its like joining as a fresher and Edinburgh was a preparation year, I already missed the oxbridge deadline, which is once of the decisions I am reconsidering, and the reason I missed all my offers except Edinburgh was that i studied at an international school that was focused on the American system, hence it is extremely difficult to join UK universities.

Also I dont think i am too good for Edinburgh, since Im very happy to stay there, and Im not wasting my time because Im done with my finals. So before you make any judgements, look what I wrote exactly in my post, I know that the universities I mentioned usually do not accept transfers into 2nd year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.