Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Santander Online Banking Confusion - Current/Available Balance Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm not sure if I'm being a bit dense, but I don't understand the difference between the Current Balance and the Available Balance.

Currently the help section explains:

"Your current balance may differ from your available balance as it may include uncleared items and any pending payments on your account. If you have an authorised overdraft on your Santander account, the available balance will include this."

So I was wondering,

If my CURRENT balance is LARGER than my available balance, does that mean that I have money to be paid INTO my account, or does it mean the money is going OUT?

Sorry for caps, it helped me to understand/phrase the question properly!

ReputationRep:
    There appears to be a mistake with your account.

Tell you what. Just give me your bank details and i'll sort it out for you.

ReputationRep:
    It will mean money is going out...

ReputationRep:
    Money is going out. Your current balance is the money actually in your account, say £30, but if your available balance is £20 then it means that £10 will be going out of your account. When ever you pay for something on your card in a shop it takes about 3 days to actually come out of your account, so the banks telling you how much money is available and not destined to go elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    You had £30 and you spent £10 of it on card payments. Those take a while to actually leave your account. The bank sets is aside so you don't spend it twice. The thing to watch out for is any direct debits you've got on there above £20, because with £30 there the chances are those will go out anyway and you'll get charged for it.

ReputationRep:
    You've got that wrong. If you're current balance is bigger than your available balance, it means money is coming in. Your current balance may include uncleared funds e.g. a deposited cheque.

ReputationRep:
    It could easily mean either. Either a card payment has been made and so the money has been taken off your available balance, or you've deposited a cheque which is yet to clear and so hasn't yet been added to your available balance but has been added to your balance.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same issue except I know I owed $1.13 and I gave $5.00. Now it says I still have a current balance when I know I paid it. Thus the $3.47 or whatever the number was, was in fact coming in not out. Due to the fact I knew I made that payment.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Please check thread dates before posting.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.