Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people infatuated with the British Monarchy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This isn't some republican rant, but I am curious as to what it is about the British Monarchy that makes it so alluring and famous - in comparison to other royal families, and in general. I see people here post 'Who cares?' a lot in relation to royal news and events; however, it's clear that there is a large number of people who do care, and continue to feed the British Monarchy's fame.

For example, the engagement of Prince William and Kate Middleton was all over the place - breaking news, front pages, TV specials (not just Britain - internationally); whereas, the wedding of the Crown Prince of Denmark and Mary Donaldson was confined to a brief mention, if any.

Similarly, I doubt your average person on the street in Britain could name the King of Spain, Queen of the Netherlands, Queen of Denmark, the King of Saudi Arabia or the Sultan of Oman. Whereas, practically anyone in the world knows who the Queen is. Again - it's just 'the Queen'. There's no confusion as to which Queen, because you know it refers to Elizabeth II.

Also, note the raging success of films about the British Monarchy and their frequency - The Queen, the King's Speech (both Oscar material). Not to mention all the films about older monarchs that are churned out by Hollywood.

So, why are people so infatuated with the British Monarchy, compared with other monarchies?

ReputationRep:
    historical significance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Again - it's just 'the Queen'. There's no confusion as to which Queen, because you know it refers to Elizabeth II.
    Who's the Prime Minister?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    So, why are people so infatuated with the British Monarchy, compared with other monarchies?
    Because (1) we live in Britain, (2) Britain is probably the second most powerful nation, (3) historical significance of the monarchy and (4) it's an illusion. Hollywood is stationed in America. I don't think I have to tell you about America-Britain relation, we are very close and similar. When America makes a movie regarding a monarchy or featuring a monarchy, it's most likely going to be about the British monarchy for reasons listed previously. If you ask your typical American to name a monarchy, it will probably be that one. Also, take into consideration that France who had a lot of land in America have abolished their monarchy any more. Britain had half of the world at one point, it isn't surprising that it's going to make news in the old colonies.

Similarly, I doubt your average person on the street in Britain could name the King of Spain, Queen of the Netherlands, Queen of Denmark, the King of Saudi Arabia or the Sultan of Oman. Whereas, practically anyone in the world knows who the Queen is. Again - it's just 'the Queen'. There's no confusion as to which Queen, because you know it refers to Elizabeth II.
    It's all about power. More power = more influence = more media attention. Remember, Britain practically owned half of the world at one point. How powerful is Spain or Netherlands or Denmark, today? How powerful were Spain, Netherlands or Denmark previously? Now compare it to Britain, I believe Britain wins on both accounts. Finally, didn't Britain help to establish the house of Saud?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Who's the Prime Minister?
    Also, this. Good point. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Eh, well I wouldn't call Britain the world's second most powerful nation. Europe's second most powerful nation perhaps, behind Germany. Though that's another debate.

The monarchy is a powerful symbol: that's all there is to it, in my opinion. Certain concepts become institutionalized and set apart within cultures, and the British monarchy happens to be a symbolic institution with a lot of meaning attached to it, even if most of that meaning is not explicitly understood by the average man on the street. The monarch symbolizes shared British heritage and the continuity of British political and social culture. That's not an argument in favour of maintaining the monarchy, it's just my summarized understanding of its significance.

ReputationRep:
    I am a proud monarchist. I enjoy learning about the monarchy of the United Kingdom and other countries, the history of monarchy and why it works so well. You must remember that our monarchy, like the Scandinavian ones were and are so adaptable and that's why they have succeeded. I believe that constitutional monarchy has so many benefits and stops the corruption that surrounds outright republics, where uncontrolled capitalism is often found.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.