Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There is no such thing as 'acting black'! for **** sake Watch

• View Poll Results: There is no such thing as 'acting black'! for **** sake.
    I agree
    35.71%
    I disagree
    64.29%

ReputationRep:
    If I got a pound every time I was told 'you don't act black!' from friends, extended family or strangers I'd be rich. The idea that my skin colour determines how I should act and behave is stupid and its about time people of all ethnic backgrounds (especially Afro-Caribbean) stop using the phrase once and for all.

My parents and I were born in Britain, London. My mothers parents are American (Florida) and my dad parents are Caribbean (Jamaica and Grenada). Maybe I should act more 'American' :rolleyes:

The way I act is partly due to my middle class London suburban upbringing. People want to paint a picture of African-Caribbean's as loud, rude, undereducated, oversexed. Where guys and girls in short shorts grind against one another appear to be the norm. I am sick of it. It allows those of black origin to accept and embrace this supposed black behaviour. Limiting our children to behaviour and some times placing a ceiling on their aspirations. Meanwhile furthering the aims and goals of those who are racist.

When I was younger my uncle would always laugh, point me out and say, ha [my name] acts like a little white boy. As a child I didn't think nothing of it, now I remind him constantly that he acts like a ignorant ******** and that there is no such thing as acting black! for **** sake.

When I listen to my Kings of Leon, wearing my Jack Wills and A+F, in my mum's Jeep on our way to collect my brother from his grammar school. I'm not acting anything, simply living the middle class lifestyle. Get over it. Those of Black skin can be middle class.

ReputationRep:
    wanna do a drive by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    Those of Black skin can be middle class.
    I agree entirely, when i first moved from Cheshire (very Caucasian area) to London EVERY day somebody would tell be i was an Oreo or a bounty, and it bloody well pissed me off! im really glad you said that

ReputationRep:
    Well, for one, you wear JW and AF, so you probably are a damn bounty. I just cant respect people who wear either brand. Theyre out of fashion now anyway..., get some Nike 6.0s lolololol

ReputationRep:
    If I got a pound every time I was told 'you don't act black!' from friends, extended family or strangers I'd be rich. The idea that my skin colour determines how I should act and behave is stupid and its about time people of all ethnic backgrounds (especially Afro-Caribbean) stop using the phrase once and for all.

My parents and I were born in Britain, London. My mothers parents are American (Florida) and my dad parents are Caribbean (Jamaica and Grenada). Maybe I should act more 'American' :rolleyes:

The way I act is partly due to my middle class London suburban upbringing. People want to paint a picture of African-Caribbean's as loud, rude, undereducated, oversexed. Where guys and girls in short shorts grind against one another appear to be the norm. I am sick of it. It allows those of black origin to accept and embrace this supposed black behaviour. Limiting our children to behaviour and some times placing a ceiling on their aspirations. Meanwhile furthering the aims and goals of those who are racist.

When I was younger my uncle would always laugh, point me out and say, ha [my name] acts like a little white boy. As a child I didn't think nothing of it, now I remind him constantly that he acts like a ignorant ******** and that there is no such thing as acting black! for **** sake.

When I listen to my Kings of Leon, wearing my Jack Wills and A+F, in my mum's Jeep on our way to collect my brother from his grammar school. I'm not acting anything, simply living the middle class lifestyle. Get over it. Those of Black skin can be middle class.
    Yeah you know what?

It because you do act white, who do catch other than coconuts wearing jack willis?

This isnt about being middle class and part of your argument is correct however at the same time I think black people can distinguish between someone who carries a level of decorum and someone who is a bounty. For instance I am highly articulate, if we spoke on the phone you would assume I was a white male like 95% of the other people I know. However I wouldnt be caught dead wearing jack willis, visiting topman or associating myself with rah *******s.

ReputationRep:

When I listen to my Kings of Leon, wearing my Jack Wills and A+F, in my mum's Jeep on our way to collect my brother from his grammar school. I'm not acting anything, simply living the middle class lifestyle. Get over it.
    You whore, you FAGGY WHORE!

Everyone has to live with stereotypes, get over it m8.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Yeah you know what?

It because you do act white, who do catch other than coconuts wearing jack willis?

This isnt about being middle class and part of your argument is correct however at the same time I think black people can distinguish between someone who carries a level of decorum and someone who is a bounty. For instance I am highly articulate, if we spoke on the phone you would assume I was a white male like 95% of the other people I know. However I wouldnt be caught dead wearing jack willis, visiting topman or associating myself with rah *******s.
    So what would you classify as "acting white"? :holmes:
    I'm probably gonna disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    Quit yo jibba jabba

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate what you're saying that its annoying when people stereotype you and think you should act a certain way, but I think there is such a thing as 'acting back' and its usually coined by white lads in baggy tops and beanbag hats trying to talk with nigerian accents and pretending they can rap.

ReputationRep:
    You are a coconut/bounty/oreo/whatever you want to call it. I will explain why later when I cn be bothered but Bishamon pretty much hit the nail on the head.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen Skins (the first series)? remember that white guy that hung around with those black brothers?
    Oh and btw, Kings of Leon? Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    So what would you classify as "acting white"? :holmes:
    I'm probably gonna disagree with you.
    Cambridge. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I come from a small town in Suffolk and I'm not really sure how black people are "meant" to act. I do know that I seem to spend half of my life manoeuvring around people in Jeeps who don't want to get their tyres dirty though, so maybe you should consider trading it in for something slightly more convenient for other road users unless you actually work on a farm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    I agree entirely, when i first moved from Cheshire (very Caucasian area) to London EVERY day somebody would tell be i was an Oreo or a bounty, and it bloody well pissed me off! im really glad you said that

WOW! I didn't realise we allowed black people in cheshire yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    I appreciate what you're saying that its annoying when people stereotype you and think you should act a certain way, but I think there is such a thing as 'acting back' and its usually coined by white lads in baggy tops and beanbag hats trying to talk with nigerian accents and pretending they can rap.
    There is no such thing as acting black, white, pink, chinese, brown tan, or any other skin colour for that matter.

If i said, 'don't act chinese' - it would be not correct to mean eating sushi, revising 10 hours a day, and only wanting to learn maths and martial arts right?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    You are a coconut/bounty/oreo/whatever you want to call it. I will explain why later when I cn be bothered but Bishamon pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    Not you as well...
    Fair enough, the Jack Wills thing is like he's trying to be a rah or whatever, but I stil think it's pretty stupid to call him a coconut.

(Original post by -beads-)
    Cambridge. :holmes:
    Touché. :hat:

The last paragraph made me sick. Disgr

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bishamon)
      ...For instance I am highly articulate, if we spoke on the phone you would assume I was a white male like 95% of the other people I know.
      I got told that I spoke like a white person a lot through secondary school.. (except I'm female), tbh I found it rather offensive especially when it came from a black person. I mean, wtf your dissing your own race! I wouldn't say I was posh, just well spoken .

(Original post by Boobies.)
      ...I think there is such a thing as 'acting back' and its usually coined by white lads in baggy tops and beanbag hats trying to talk with nigerian accents and pretending they can rap.
      ^^ Lol, Cher Lloyd springs to mind! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Imperial>oxbridge)
      There is no such thing as acting black, white, pink, chinese, brown tan, or any other skin colour for that matter.

If i said, 'don't act chinese' - it would be not correct to mean eating sushi, revising 10 hours a day, and only wanting to learn maths and martial arts right?
      Sushi's japanese brah

go tell a chinaman that and see if he wont slap the **** outta you

ReputationRep:
      There is such a thing as "acting black" and that is acting cool. It really isn't cool to wear Jack Wills and listen to Kings of Leon but it is cool to wear high-top nike trainers and listen to Giggs. There you go, you bounty. (:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.