Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I already have one account which I made when I was younger it was a savings account with HSBC and has about £580 in.
    I wanted to get a part time job so wanted a current account I'm 16 years old what bank would you suggest(intrest rates aren't a big deal to me).
    What factors should I take into consideration when choosing thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I've always had great great service from RBS. They do things like ring you up if you're about to go overdrawn so you can avoid charges.... That said, presuming you're in England, they're being taken over by Santander so I can't, in all honesty, suggest you join them now.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with RBS.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want really. Did you want an overdraft facility?
    What perks did you want etc?

ReputationRep:
    I just want internet banking and somewhere I can easily deposit and withdraw money. I want a card so I can pay online and buy card(debit). I don't really care about overdrafts or anything else like that.

ReputationRep:
    I would highly recommmend HSBC, the customer service is outstanding and they help to set everything up for you. I believe it's the best bank for service by far.

Being 16 you will probably be offered a Visa Electron, pretty much all banks give these, and you can't go overdrawn on them, but there really useful. So seeing as the card and account will be the same I would use the bank offering the best service.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks I'll try HSBC oh and do you know if they need parent consent if I want to make a bank account at 16?

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. I can't remember sorry, been over 2 years since I opened mine.

ReputationRep:
    You don't normally need parental permission - just two forms of ID (e.g. birth certificate, passport, letter from HSBC, etc).

Decent banks to go with are:
    Halifax
    Lloyds TSB
    HSBC
    Nationwide

Barclays are ok.

Avoid Natworst and Santander if you can possibly help it - most people have nothing but problems from these two!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.