Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a complete waste of time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At the moment i am doing NO EXERCISE due to work/winter/my own laziness (i know there are no excuses) so i thought 3/4 mornings a week i would do a small 15 minute run to get my heart rate going at the start of the day and then at the weekend go for longer 30-45 minute runs

are the little runs a complete waste of time? will they not benefit me at all?

thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by problemstruckperson)
    are the little runs a complete waste of time?
    No, they're better than nothing.

will they not benefit me at all?
    Yes but don't expect any miracles. You get out of life what you put in.

ReputationRep:
    Any exercise is better than no exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by problemstruckperson)
    At the moment i am doing NO EXERCISE due to work/winter/my own laziness (i know there are no excuses) so i thought 3/4 mornings a week i would do a small 15 minute run to get my heart rate going at the start of the day and then at the weekend go for longer 30-45 minute runs

are the little runs a complete waste of time? will they not benefit me at all?

thanks for any help!

Not a waste of time but if you could make it 20 minutes or so with a few minutes of warm up and then some HIIT you'd get a lot better results....

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training, you basically sprint for 30 seconds then walk briskly/jog for 90 seconds then repeat for about 12/14 minutes. If done properly you will be COMPLETELY knackered...

That's my reccomendation anyway...

ReputationRep:
    15 minutes of high intensity (throw in some sprints) is a million times better than 45 minutes of low-intensity jogging. In fact, anyone who jogs for over 45 minutes is not only doing their body no good, they're damaging it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with MHorman, some HIIT training is a good place to start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.