Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The war on christmas is over Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...om-PC-brigade-

Thanks you mr pickles for putting wintervil in the dustbin of history . Victory for common sense and long may it continue.

ReputationRep:
    woop go mr pickles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)

Thanks you mr pickles for putting wintervil in the dustbin of history . Victory for common sense and long may it continue.
    who cares what it's called? A true victory for common sense would be for everyone to call it whatever they like. I think I'll stick with 'Family dinner day'.

ReputationRep:
    Horrah! I tell you, this is POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD, and thank god good old Mr Pickles has right the wrongs of those bloomin' do-gooders who want to impose their autocratic lefty-liberal views upon us. It is people like Mr Pickles who will make this country great again, in the face of European bureaucrats and PC wallies.

Bravo good fellow.

*(I joke, I can only echo the sentiments of the person who said actual common sense is letting people call it whatever the hell they want)

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Express... the epitome of truth and neutrality.

Btw, Christmas has pagan origins: http://www.essortment.com/all/christmaspagan_rece.htm

So although we view it as Christmas and a Christian festival today, the day was originally celebrated as the feast of the son of Isis. The pagans of northern Europe celebrated Yule: live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during winter as a reminder that soon the crops would grow again. Huge Yule logs were burned in honour of the sun. Yule means “wheel” (pagan symbol for the sun). Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were considered a food of the gods. In Ancient Rome, the Mummers were groups of costumed singers and dancers who travelled from house to house entertaining neighbours. From this, the Christmas tradition of singing carols was created.

According to the article, in 350AD Pope Julius I declared that Christ’s birth would be celebrated on December 25th: "There is little doubt that he was trying to make it as painless as possible for pagan Romans (who remained a majority at that time) to convert to Christianity. The new religion went down a bit easier, knowing that their feasts would not be taken away from them."

So, even though Christmas is a Christian festival, many of the Christmas traditions we embrace actually have pagan origins, and without its pagan roots we might not be celebrating it. So don't get too hung up on the Christianity element, as Pickles has.

ReputationRep:
    It never happened.

Winter Festivals and so forth were named as such because they run over a longer period than just Christmas.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    See this is the problem with the old government. They went to such efforts to not offend Muslims that they ended up causing people to hate Islam. Look at the whole winter lights episode. A council did it to try not to offend Muslims who then said they don't even care and would not be offended by Chrismas lights.

ReputationRep:
    I really love the build up to Christmas. I'm not religious and I do not see Christmas in a religious way whatsoever. I just love the lights, the colours, the festivities, the gloves and scarves. I like seeing my local towns being transformed into glittery, twinkly and colourful places. I wouldn't care if these decorations were put up for Eid, Diwali, Hanukkah or Christmas, as long as there's some sort of celebration.

I did notice that the giant Christmas tree in Croydon is no longer put up, and the decorations look like ribbons and stars; it doesn't even seem Christmas specific.

ReputationRep:

Thank the Lord. I actually get very angry when people call it 'Winterval' and stuff. It's a Christian festival. Would Muslims approve if I said I want to call Eid "break-of-fast day" or something because the word Eid offends me? No, I think there'd be uproar about that. I don't understand why people would be offended by a country celebrating their own traditional religious festival in their own way. If you really hate it, get out. It's that simple.

ReputationRep:

Oh my god, every year these ****y little papers trot out this winterval crap and shove it down our throats. Winterval was an event one year, organised by Birmingham city council, that was designed to encourage local business. It was in November. It had nothing to do with Christmas. In fact, it was done in conjunction with the Christmas lights, the Christmas market, the Christmas parade, and the Christmas card sent by the mayor to all the residents wishing them "A Merry Christmas".

STFU outraged middles England, no one is trying to steal Christmas, now stop being such a perfect case study in the retardation of the British general public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Thank the Lord. I actually get very angry when people call it 'Winterval' and stuff. It's a Christian festival. Would Muslims approve if I said I want to call Eid "break-of-fast day" or something because the word Eid offends me? No, I think there'd be uproar about that. I don't understand why people would be offended by a country celebrating their own traditional religious festival in their own way. If you really hate it, get out. It's that simple.
    I'm curious, have you actually EVER heard someone call Christmas any other name outside of spuriously-worded newspaper print?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digit_Five)
    I'm curious, have you actually EVER heard someone call Christmas any other name outside of spuriously-worded newspaper print?
    I've seen signs saying things like "enjoy our winter decorations" and stuff, and decorations get changed to just ribons and nothing to do with Christmas. The actual day though, I've never heard called winterval.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I've seen signs saying things like "enjoy our winter decorations" and stuff, and decorations get changed to just ribons and nothing to do with Christmas. The actual day though, I've never heard called winterval.
    Seems like a pretty obvious choice if you were a business, there are other events on during winter and they need to sell as much stuff to as many people as possible. The way the media tries to link it to some kind of local-government political correctness really just gets on my nerves, as I'm sure you've noticed

ReputationRep:
    Mr Pickles :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear it but still :facepalm: at the comments.

No one was offended in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    What war on Christmas? Oh - Birmingham. That story is like soooooo last millennium!

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/20...val-again.html which busts this urban myth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digit_Five)
    Oh my god, every year these ****y little papers trot out this winterval crap and shove it down our throats. Winterval was an event one year, organised by Birmingham city council, that was designed to encourage local business. It was in November. It had nothing to do with Christmas. In fact, it was done in conjunction with the Christmas lights, the Christmas market, the Christmas parade, and the Christmas card sent by the mayor to all the residents wishing them "A Merry Christmas".

STFU outraged middles England, no one is trying to steal Christmas, now stop being such a perfect case study in the retardation of the British general public.
    This. Happened once and was nothing to do wtih Christmas.

once again 'PC gone mad' turns out to be, well, 'pc gone mad gone mad...'

ReputationRep:
    Even the BBC are even devoting a portion of their output this year to the actual meaning of Christmas in an - allegedly - faithful dramatisation of the nativity play, whatever next.

ReputationRep:

Hasn't really won has he?

I'll still be sending out my Winterval cards, political correctness gone mad isn't going to stop me from offending Christians!

Just because you want to tip toe around them don't mean we'll all just roll over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Even the BBC are even devoting a portion of their output this year to the actual meaning of Christmas in an - allegedly - faithful dramatisation of the nativity play, whatever next.
    And how much air time are they giving to the actual meaning of the Yule? The nativity doesn't have anything to do with December so how is that 'the actual meaning of Christmas'?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.