Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Loughborough, Leeds or Sheffield (aeronautical engineering) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am French and currently filling my ucas form. I would like to study aeronautical engineering and I have still one choice to add. The thing is that some persons in my circle of acquaintances advised me Leeds University but when I looked on the league tables it was really far from Sheffield and Loughborough. I would like to know which one of these universities would be better to study aeronautical engineering in UK ?
    Thanks a lot for you precious help !
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    League tables are utterly irrelevant for engineering.

What's the "better" university to study engineering at depends on what you type of university campus and student life you want. Loughborough is in a town I think, where Leeds and Sheffield are both massive cities. Lufbra's got excellent sports facilities.

It also depends on what industry you're close to, as companies inevitably recruit heavily from the universities closest to them.

ReputationRep:
    Don't look at league tables, Leeds, Loughborough and Sheffield are very similar in terms of "prestige". Look at prospectuses, websites and details about towns near to these univeristies.

I would personally recommend Loughborough by the way, their department looks really good, and they have recently invested a lot of money in their engineering department. They have good sports facilities and failry good links with industry.

(Original post by Smack)
    League tables are utterly irrelevant for engineering.

What's the "better" university to study engineering at depends on what you type of university campus and student life you want. Loughborough is in a town I think, where Leeds and Sheffield are both massive cities. Lufbra's got excellent sports facilities.

It also depends on what industry you're close to, as companies inevitably recruit heavily from the universities closest to them.
    League tables aren't reliable for most things, but I would argue that university "reputation" should be considered when applying for engineering as the finance sector (particularly top finance jobs) is a fairly popular destination for engineering students. If you hate the world of finance (like me ) then yeah it wouldn't be relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you very much for your help, I'm going to do some research about their campus and the life in these cities. Even if loughborough is a small town, is it pleasant ? Is there some night life or not ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.