Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harder/Stronger Muscles rather than Mass.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    How would you go about gaining STRONGER arms rather than gaining mass?
    I'm not really looking to gain size but just strengh and harder muscles.
    Would it be low weight high reps? Or moderately high weight high reps?

ReputationRep:
    Max weights, max reps, for everything.

Don't be a fag.

ReputationRep:
    How do you think lifting light weights for lots and lots of reps is going to make you stronger? Use some common sense. Progressively lift heavier and heavier weights, and you will get stronger. That's how it works.

ReputationRep:
    Muscle fibres = increase strength and mass. To an extent, you will always gain mass with strength, you can't just stay the same size and keep getting stronger, it's just not gonna happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaterfield)
    You sure about that?

press mute.
    wow.

really?

What muscles are involved in deadlift? Biceps? Triceps? Shoulders? NO

It's the back, more specifically the erector spinae muscle. Do an MRI on this dude and you'll see how big they obviously are.

And you really think that you can somehow gain strength magically from thin air? More strength MEANS more muscle fibres, which means more mass. You could condition your individual muscle fibres to withstand more weight, but only to an extent, after which you will be adding strength as well as mass. Where the hell do you think the strength comes from?? Gosh, think about it for two seconds at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    wow.

really?

What muscles are involved in deadlift? Biceps? Triceps? Shoulders? NO

It's the back, more specifically the erector spinae muscle. Do an MRI on this dude and you'll see how big they obviously are.

And you really think that you can somehow gain strength magically from thin air? More strength MEANS more muscle fibres, which means more mass. You could condition your individual muscle fibres to withstand more weight, but only to an extent, after which you will be adding strength as well as mass. Where the hell do you think the strength comes from?? Gosh, think about it for two seconds at least
    Not necessarily. You're overlooking the fact that we have 3 types of muscle, red white and pink. The SAME mass of pink muscle > more power than the same mass of white muscle. Hence reduced mass of one and increased of another somewhat balances (slightly) mass gain but you get more power due to differences in how well they oxidise.

Also you obviously don't work out, as if deadlifting ONLY required the back, lol, i can guarantee you'd either rupture something, topple over or even not be able to pick it up.

It requires good quads (that guy has big ones) good forearms, strong core to support the back, traps. the reason people even DO deadlifts is because it works the front, arms, back and legs. its an "all body" workout, not just back. So i suggest you heed your own advice,
    "Gosh, think about it for two seconds at least".
    You were too eager to "show-up" someone on these forums, you yourself missed a trick. inabitlad. xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)

Don't be a fag.
    stfu silly bint.

ReputationRep:
    all of you just shut up, in reality gaining strength without gaining size is pointlessly difficult and not even desirable. Weedy skinny-fat losers who had a **** over Pavel and now want to be "skinny strong" and are worried about blowing up into a huge ballooned cartoonish muscle freak.

After some noob gains where your pathetically-deconditioned nervous system learns how to do the lift, you're ****ed if you try to get stronger without gaining weight. Progress will be so slow you basically won't get anywhere at all and soon you'll be too old to gain a thing.

Gaining weight leads to huge strength gains across the board, and quickly, too. Especially since you'll recover 10x faster from each workout if you're actually eating to gain weight.

No one on the internet is going to be impressed that you're a skinny **** with no strength, it's not honourable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    all of you just shut up, in reality gaining strength without gaining size is pointlessly difficult and not even desirable. Weedy skinny-fat losers who had a **** over Pavel and now want to be "skinny strong" and are worried about blowing up into a huge ballooned cartoonish muscle freak.

After some noob gains where your pathetically-deconditioned nervous system learns how to do the lift, you're ****ed if you try to get stronger without gaining weight. Progress will be so slow you basically won't get anywhere at all and soon you'll be too old to gain a thing.

Gaining weight leads to huge strength gains across the board, and quickly, too. Especially since you'll recover 10x faster from each workout if you're actually eating to gain weight.

No one on the internet is going to be impressed that you're a skinny **** with no strength, it's not honourable.
    I'm about to type one word which will take a dumb on your post and blow it out the water. Ready?

BRUCE LEE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaterfield)
    Epic signature.
    why thank you. i can make you one if you so desire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vBison)
    I'm about to type one word which will take a dumb on your post and blow it out the water. Ready?

BRUCE LEE
    Yea, what about him?

ReputationRep:

BRUCE LEE
    Oh, now I know you're an idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    wow.

And you really think that you can somehow gain strength magically from thin air? More strength MEANS more muscle fibres,
    Sorry, just have to say this, but you cant increase the number of muscle fibers you have, you can only increase the size of them.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, what about him?
    He was "skinny" yet the one inch punch sent a man double his weight flying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Oh, now I know you're an idiot
    u mad bro? i typed one word but said two? i can defy laws like that. u banned though bro, dont get mad.

ReputationRep:
    He was "skinny" yet the one inch punch sent a man double his weight flying.
    Cool story - so how does this relate to the OP's situation?

ReputationRep:
    Cool story - so how does this relate to the OP's situation?
    You were saying about more mass = stronger. bruce lee defies that. please tell me, is your last name perchance "a brick wall"?

ReputationRep:
    You were saying about more mass = stronger.
    Can you clarify? That's ambiguous. Quote me, perhaps.

bruce lee defies that.
    How does he? Bruce Lee with more mass would have been stronger. That applies to anyone no matter how many films they were in.

please tell me, is your last name perchance "a brick wall"?
    nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)

Don't be a fag.
    lol this 100%

ReputationRep:
    http://www.freedomfly.net/Articles/T...training29.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin6cccc.htm

I'm not an expert at all so I can't vouch for the truth behind these articles, but this is what I found.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.