Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you be doing your degree at your chosen uni at £10k a year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, would you be doing your university course at the university you're at?

I think I still would have, but I would be living at home to try and save money. In fact, I think I would have been tempted to go to some less good universities closer to home to save me a bit of money, which is something I didn't consider when I was applying.

ReputationRep:
    100% without a doubt. Theres almost nothing as important to me as the value of my university degree.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely
    although, i am against the rise. (I think)

ReputationRep:
    I would almost certainly have opted for the BSc option rather than the MMATH which I am doing, 4 years at higher fees is just not worth it. Same uni though for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure... I'd like to say yes, as I put a lot of value on having a degree, and going to uni has definitely been one of the best decisions I've made.
    But I would have seriously considered my other options, and like previously mentioned, saved money as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Almost definitely, but if I hadn't got a place at a top uni, I reckon I would have taken the chance to 'make it' via traineeships and work rather than uni.

ReputationRep:
    I would still have. Even though you'll be in more debt but you can pay that off once you start working, it would take a bit longer to pay it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    Definitely
    although, i am against the rise. (I think)
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I would have lived at home and taken on a heavier part-time job. £45k (£10k a year for fees, then £5k a year London maintenance loan) debt is terrifying. If I hadn't got into my chosen uni or Oxbridge, I would have retaken A-levels until I did, or possibly changed my chosen course to get scholarships etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Given that I would have undoubtedly got some (even bigger) ****-huge bursary, I still would have gone for the undergrad course I did. That said, if I were not in line for such a big bursary, even I would have to have considered whether it was worth it or not...

Postgrad's obviously a different ball-game. I'm just lucky that I live in London anyway, really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    Yes, but I would have lived at home and taken on a heavier part-time job. £45k (£10k a year for fees, then £5k a year London maintenance loan) debt is terrifying. If I hadn't got into my chosen uni or Oxbridge, I would have retaken A-levels until I did, or possibly changed my chosen course to get scholarships etc.
    Why is it terrifying? You would only pay it all back in the 30 years if you could afford to. for 45k you'd have to average £37.7k if my calculations are correct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Why is it terrifying? You would only pay it all back in the 30 years if you could afford to. for 45k you'd have to average £37.7k if my calculations are correct!
    Obviously when you rationalise it, it's a manageable amount & I'm largely in favour of Browne's proposals, but the figure itself is scary; it's a huge amount of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    Obviously when you rationalise it, it's a manageable amount & I'm largely in favour of Browne's proposals, but the figure itself is scary; it's a huge amount of money.
    People need to be able to rationalise it though. People just think 'oh mu god i will never be able to afford all that money' when it's not the case at all :no: In fact, some people may even end up paying less than the current system as the limit will be £21K rather than £15k before you start paying.

Unfortunately many people don't listen to the full argument as they stop and panic the minute they see the figures :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I never thought about things like money and careers when I was 18. I would have done the same course, and then gotten to where I am now (ie, a third year), and wish I'd done something more pragmatic or vocational than an arts degree.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. My course is not worth more than they currently charge.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely would - with science there's no way around it, it's either degree or do something else.

And as others have said, the way it's paid means it isn't really that bad. Afterall, the amount of income tax you pay over 30 years is scarily huge, but no one ever talks about that as if it's one lump sum figure. I'm not saying I agree with the rises, but they shouldn't put people off.

ReputationRep:
    I would, its an investment isnt it.

Also, im all for the rise in fees, I think degrees have been devalued recently and upping tthe fees means that you have to take more of a risk with your education

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the student loan shouldn't even be considered a debt. In the sense you can't lose your home or be forced to claim bankruptcy if you can't pay it back. It's effectively the same as a tax in all but name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willow162)
    I would almost certainly have opted for the BSc option rather than the MMATH which I am doing, 4 years at higher fees is just not worth it. Same uni though for sure.
    Given that you would be likely to pay exactly the same no matter how long your course is (and if you do end up paying more for the 4 year course it would be, tautologically, worth it), I don't think this would be a wise idea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.