Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in my first year at sixth-form college, currently studying English literature, history, French and classics. I really want to read English lit at Bristol, but I've heard that it's ridiculously competitive with some 60 places on offer and thousands of applicants. With that in mind, I think my GCSEs could probably hold me back:

A* [English lit] A* [History] A* [Core science] A* [Additional science] A [English language] A [French] A [Maths] A [Music] B [Fine art].

I had one quite major mitigating circumstance, but I didn't have special consideration when having my exams marked. Do you know if there'd be an opportunity to present this circumstance with my application?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Filoux)
    Hey, I'm in my first year at sixth-form college, currently studying English literature, history, French and classics. I really want to read English lit at Bristol, but I've heard that it's ridiculously competitive with some 60 places on offer and thousands of applicants. With that in mind, I think my GCSEs could probably hold me back:

A* [English lit] A* [History] A* [Core science] A* [Additional science] A [English language] A [French] A [Maths] A [Music] B [Fine art].

I had one quite major mitigating circumstance, but I didn't have special consideration when having my exams marked. Do you know if there'd be an opportunity to present this circumstance with my application?

Thanks.
    In these situations I automatically think there is trolling going on.

But OP, those are good GCSE results. 8x A-A* grades in respected academic GCSEs and a B in Art to show your creative side. Your A level results matter far more than your GCSE results do, make sure you do well at A level and also that you have a strong personal statement with extra-curricular activities and hobbies and you will easily get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    In these situations I automatically think there is trolling going on.

But OP, those are good GCSE results. 8x A-A* grades in respected academic GCSEs and a B in Art to show your creative side. Your A level results matter far more than your GCSE results do, make sure you do well at A level and also that you have a strong personal statement with extra-curricular activities and hobbies and you will easily get in.
    Hey, cheers for the reply/encouragement.

Believe it or not, I wasn't trolling. I am genuinely concerned regarding my GCSE results and their placement in any application for a 'red brick' University, as looking around these forums I'm seeing people with 4-7 A*s being rejected from UCL and Bristol for over-subscribed courses like English.

ReputationRep:
    If you have mitigating circumstances then a letter can be sent to all of the universities you apply to explaining the situation, or it can be mentioned briefly in your reference.

Try not to worry You'll be fine.

Plus if worst comes to worst, its not the only decent uni for English! What about Bath or UCL or Exeter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    If you have mitigating circumstances then a letter can be sent to all of the universities you apply to explaining the situation, or it can be mentioned briefly in your reference.

Try not to worry You'll be fine.

Plus if worst comes to worst, its not the only decent uni for English! What about Bath or UCL or Exeter?
    Yeah UCL and Exeter are also serious considerations for English literature.

Cheers for the advice guys, I guess I'll just concentrate on getting all As at A-Level now and read as extensively and intelligently as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Filoux)
    Yeah UCL and Exeter are also serious considerations for English literature.

Cheers for the advice guys, I guess I'll just concentrate on getting all As at A-Level now and read as extensively and intelligently as possible.
    Despite what is suggested by people's grades on academic forums like this, what you do outside of actual academic learning can really sway if you get in or not. So try and get involved with stuff at college and when it comes to writing your personal statement you will have lots of things to talk about and your grades will speak for themselves.

Remember, if they see you have got 3/4 As at A-level then they already know you are very intelligent. It is in all the other stuff you do that you shine above other candidates with similar or better grades.

ReputationRep:
    Ok are you an idiot? There almost all a*. Your just making us a/b students feel like ****

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.