Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car + snow stupid question Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okey, excuse the stupid questions, and stupidity, i really don't know anything about driving in snow or cars and snow!

So i was driving to Labs last night to stay over night and do work.
    I parked my car on a hill about a meter in front of a metal barrier(front lights facing the barrier).
    It snowed super heavily over night! So now i'm too scared to move my car incase i dont get any grip and it goes rolling into the barriers or something!

And when i came down this morning ready to go home, someone had broken one of the car mirrors =(..

I know this is stupid and irrational, but im suddenly worried the car will go rolling down and hit the barriers. Or someone may accidently fall onto in during a snowball right or something and it will go rolling down the hill?

If someone pushed it could this happen?...

I really want to sleep since i've been awake for over 24 hours doing work...but im really worried about the car! And i'm probably being stupid but my car is something that means a hell of a lot to me!

ReputationRep:
    If the road was alright when you parked then it'll still be alright directly under your tyres after snowfall so it's not going to start sliding away all on it's own... maybe if someone gave it a proper bump in another vehicle it'd go - and you're more likely to get bumped if you're parked on a slope in the snow...

Funny stuff btw snow - it's a lot more slippery after it's been driven over a few times and compacted. last year saw a few people coming out of minor roads where they'd had fresh snow to drive on and a fairly sensible amount of grip getting to a main road and shooting off sideways cos the grip on the compacted and polished snow was so much less than the fresh.

if it's on much of a slope at all you should forget about moving it really and just fold the mirrors flat. you could leave it in gear and if you're against a kerb turn the front wheels into that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Which way is the hill facing? You need to leave it in gear so that if you were to drive you would be going uphill. My car is currently parked facing down the hill so I have left it in reverse gear - if I were to drive like this I would then be going back up the hill. This just gives you a bit of extra security as you can leave it like this without the brakes on and it will stay in the same place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    This guy is about right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    If the road was alright when you parked then it'll still be alright directly under your tyres after snowfall so it's not going to start sliding away all on it's own... maybe if someone gave it a proper bump in another vehicle it'd go - and you're more likely to get bumped if you're parked on a slope in the snow...

Funny stuff btw snow - it's a lot more slippery after it's been driven over a few times and compacted. last year saw a few people coming out of minor roads where they'd had fresh snow to drive on and a fairly sensible amount of grip getting to a main road and shooting off sideways cos the grip on the compacted and polished snow was so much less than the fresh.

if it's on much of a slope at all you should forget about moving it really and just fold the mirrors flat. you could leave it in gear and if you're against a kerb turn the front wheels into that.
    Thankyou. There was about an an inch or so before it was parked, kinda started coming down on the way. I think im going to go and check it out in a couple of hours and see what i can do, see what the snows like etc. And if not, i'll leave it in first gear...

My mirrors don't fold unfortunately =(.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Thankyou. There was about an an inch or so before it was parked, kinda started coming down on the way. I think im going to go and check it out in a couple of hours and see what i can do, see what the snows like etc. And if not, i'll leave it in first gear...

My mirrors don't fold unfortunately =(.
    Try digging some of the snow from around /under it if you are scared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    Try digging some of the snow from around /under it if you are scared.
    Would hit water do any good with some anti freeze in it?

ReputationRep:
    Ask someone with a tractor for a tow.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe but you are better off with a snow shovel, but I guess it is quite hard when you are at uni.

Even if you just kick some of the snow away from the drive wheels (I assume front) and then when you set off make sure you dont put your foot down too hard

ReputationRep:
    It depends on it you are facing uphill or downhill. If your car is facing downhill then it will probably roll and let you mavoeure around the barrier. If you need to reverse first then you might have problems.

If you are facing uphill then your car has more chance of sliding backwards.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit dubious about that, it's based on a form of alcohol afaik so the alcohol might evaporate off and leave a layer of water behind to form black ice - it's designed to work in sealed systems not the open air.

salt would be OK tho.

ReputationRep:
    Or deicer

ReputationRep:
    Grab a shovel and go dig it out (id dig a strectch of the road your pulling out onto aswell) or find a mate with a 4x4 and have fun pulling it out.

If your ok without your car for a few days go put it in reverse fold the mirrors in and just leave it

(Original post by CJN)
      Or deicer
      If you have about 20 quids worth.

ReputationRep:

This won't happen to you :nah:.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by futuredoc77)

Holy cow, why did they jump out of the car?? Dangerous or what, could have been run over!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tbm)
      Holy cow, why did they jump out of the car?? Dangerous or what, could have been run over!
      :nah: If they'd come into contact with the wheels, they might've stopped the car sliding. But I agree that jumping out and sending the car to it's destiny wasn't the best decision on their part yet I don't blame them as they must have panicked. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

They basically did everything they could have done wrong, wrong. If they'd let off the brakes a little so the wheels could still turn they would have been able to at least control the direction they were going in and possibly slow down a little bit more too. Then they bailed. How ****ing stupid was that?! Their ignorance is why the whole country just stops when we have a little bit of snow.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nuffles)
      They basically did everything they could have done wrong, wrong. If they'd let off the brakes a little so the wheels could still turn they would have been able to at least control the direction they were going in and possibly slow down a little bit more too. Then they bailed. How ****ing stupid was that?! Their ignorance is why the whole country just stops when we have a little bit of snow.
      +1 what they did was well stupid. It seems british people are scared of snow when it comes to driving.

ReputationRep:

I love the fact that, despite them both trying to escape by getting out, the both end up sliding down the road on their asses along side the car. Rofl.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.