Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting a V-shaped back Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I have been wondering how to get a V-shaped back and I would like to know what kind of excercise I could do in order to make it more prominent.

Thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    so you basically want a stick thin waist, and massive bat-wings?

skinny tummy:
    well firstly make a low-fat diet plan, do 3 reps of 20 sit-ups a week, increase the reppege per week by 1.
    then you wanna do bicycle sit-ups, 3 by 20 a week for trimming your sides. increae reppege per week by 1.

Massive back wings:
    Cheap option: do a lot of swimming (front crawl - butterfly)
    Small Money option: purchase 10 to 20kg dumbells and do dumbell rows. 2 x 20 per week for 2 weeks. after every 2 weeks increase the reppege. low weights, do the rows fast for cutting and building pink muscle (quick twitch). do heavy weights slow for red muscle (bulking).
    Big Money option: go to a gym, and ask a personal trainer best back workouts.

Or.... do boxing. But when i say "increase reps", do it within reason lol. the point of reps is to not increase it to 100 a week, but finding a comfortable set of repetitions which challenge you, yet still efficiently work out your muscles. too many on too heavy weights will not do.

oh yeah and buy a good creatin based muscle protein shake/ supplements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vBison)

skinny tummy:
    well firstly make a low-fat diet plan, do 3 reps of 20 sit-ups a week, increase the reppege per week by 1.
    then you wanna do bicycle sit-ups, 3 by 20 a week for trimming your sides. increae reppege per week by 1.

Massive back wings:
    Small Money option: purchase 10 to 20kg dumbells and do dumbell rows. 2 x 20 per week for 2 weeks. after every 2 weeks increase the reppege. low weights, do the rows fast for cutting and building pink muscle (quick twitch). do heavy weights slow for red muscle (bulking).

Or.... do boxing. But when i say "increase reps", do it within reason lol. the point of reps is to not increase it to 100 a week, but finding a comfortable set of repetitions which challenge you, yet still efficiently work out your muscles. too many on too heavy weights will not do.

entire post is a waste of time

op go and do the following

pullups (weighted)
    lat pulldowns
    deadlift
    bent over rows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)

pullups (weighted)
    lat pulldowns
    deadlift
    bent over rows
    I agree with this.

ReputationRep:

pullups (weighted)
    lat pulldowns
    deadlift
    bent over rows
    if he wants a V-shape he needs to trim his waist? Also swimming + boxing use lats and I mentioned rows + lat workouts. so essentially both our posts target the lats, but i mention shoulders, trimming and waist? how is that a waste of a post?

ReputationRep:
    if he wants a V-shape he needs to trim his waist? Also swimming + boxing use lats and I mentioned rows + lat workouts. so essentially both our posts target the lats, but i mention shoulders, trimming and waist? how is that a waste of a post?
    The v taper has little to do with trimming the waist and alot more to do0 with lateral and deltoid hypertrophy to create the illusion of a slim line waist. Most of the exercises mentioned are largely useless when compared weight training as water offers no where near the resistance of say, a 120kg lat pulldown. Incorporating a weight training regimen will benefit the OP better and faster.

ReputationRep:
    Stretch these muscles daily.
    - Upper Trapezius, Pectoralis Major, Biceps, Pectoralis, Psoas and Piriformis (Hip Flexor stretch) and Hamstrings.

Focus training on these muscles.
    - Rhomboids, Mid-back, Triceps, Gluteus Maximus, Deltoids, External Obliques and Deep Abs.

Exercises:
    - Weighted Pull Ups, Bent over row, Seated row, 1-Arm Row.
    - Russian Twist, Wood Chops, 1-Arm Farmers Walk, Landmines, Hanging leg raises.
    - Standing 1-Arm DB Press and DB Side Raise
    - Sumo Deadlifts, Pull-Throughs, KB Swing, Barbell Hip Thrusts and Sprinting.
    - Weight Dips, Close grip bench and Diamond push ups.

Cardio: Swimming.

ReputationRep:
    The v taper has little to do with trimming the waist and alot more to do0 with lateral and deltoid hypertrophy to create the illusion of a slim line waist. Most of the exercises mentioned are largely useless when compared weight training as water offers no where near the resistance of say, a 120kg lat pulldown. Incorporating a weight training regimen will benefit the OP better and faster.
    swimming helps with cutting.

ReputationRep:

pullups (weighted)
    lat pulldowns
    deadlift
    bent over rows
    This is the best advise on this thread

T bar rows are good too

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for all of your replies, no post is a waste as I find them all very useful!

As for the pullups, does anyone know whether I could do them at home in any way even if I haven't got one of those bars?

Also, how do I make sure I follow a low-fat diet plan? Is it calories or saturated fat that I need to look for, when looking at the package of food in order to watch out the my fat intake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sergioib)
    As for the pullups, does anyone know whether I could do them at home in any way even if I haven't got one of those bars?

Also, how do I make sure I follow a low-fat diet plan? Is it calories or saturated fat that I need to look for, when looking at the package of food in order to watch out the my fat intake?
    you can't do them without a bar... they're pretty cheap and you can detach them from door frame after you use it

Look at the amount of macronutrients you're having each day (protein/fat/carbs)

Try and keep fat to below 100 grams a day at a max, aim for about 60-80 ideally, its total fat not saturated fat, and get your fat from good sources e.g. olive oil, fish, avocadoes, nuts

If you're bulking aim for 3000 calories, get 50% calories from carbs, 35% from protein, 15% from fat, eat one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight

ReputationRep:
    :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    So, as to make it clear, should I focus on how much fat I take as opposed to calories? I mean, should I concentrate on fat?

I normally check the amount of calories per 100g and try to avoid those that are over 300 or 400 kcal per 100g, but I'm not too sure that's a good technique!

ReputationRep:
    t bar rows are gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    you can't do them without a bar... they're pretty cheap and you can detach them from door frame after you use it

Look at the amount of macronutrients you're having each day (protein/fat/carbs)

Try and keep fat to below 100 grams a day at a max, aim for about 60-80 ideally, its total fat not saturated fat, and get your fat from good sources e.g. olive oil, fish, avocadoes, nuts

If you're bulking aim for 3000 calories, get 50% calories from carbs, 35% from protein, 15% from fat, eat one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight
    and since when did ur body care what percentage of ur calories come from carbs,protein and fat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by int92)
    and since when did ur body care what percentage of ur calories come from carbs,protein and fat?
    Since it cared about having enough energy to get you through workouts, and having enough fuel to build new muscle, its a rough estimate which would provide that, half your intake should be carbs if you wanna bulk and are doing serious lifting, and your fats shouldn't go above about 20% in any case otherwise you're eating the wrong ****

ReputationRep:

skinny tummy:

Massive back wings:

Are you called Richard Head? that would be a superb name for you.

That or Miss Informed

ReputationRep:
    About the V-shaped back, i dont know the best way to get it. But about a month ago i fitted a Pull up bar onto my door frame, since then iv been doing it every day, my stomach became more trimmed and my back increased in mass considerably. Although the only thing about this is that my stomach looks a little skinny now because my bag has got big. But i guess this is what you want right?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's exactly what I want. Can you explain how to get one of those bars on your door frame, please?

ReputationRep:
    you can get them anywhere, argos sells them cheap. i bought mine for £20. You dont even need the instructions. Just bolt it into the door when you get it, youl know how to doit once you get it. It took me less than 10 mins to fit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.