Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine it's very demanding, but are there particular traits within people who want to be architects? I'm not really sure how to phrase this question, but i guess i mean does it require someone who is mainly creative or mathematical?

I read somewhere people who want to be architects are particularly good listeners and are good problem solvers? Also, i read that its a field/course that is dominated by the wealthy in the Times, why is that?

ReputationRep:
    People interested in architecture.

ReputationRep:
    Creative people.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it is someone who loves a combination of creativity and academia. I want to study architecture because I am obviously passionate about it. This passion probably stems from being able to amalgamate my love for Art & Design, science, and humanities. It is important to have a wide range of skills too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trottoir)
    I can imagine it's very demanding, but are there particular traits within people who want to be architects? I'm not really sure how to phrase this question, but i guess i mean does it require someone who is mainly creative or mathematical?

I read somewhere people who want to be architects are particularly good listeners and are good problem solvers? Also, i read that its a field/course that is dominated by the wealthy in the Times, why is that?
    It takes 7 years to study, and therefore it's hardly a cheap degree to do. Also the financial reward (there isn't one) at the end doesnt exist. You'r'e lucky to get paid.
    Hardly a course for people looking to make lots of money, hence the wealth of the students.

Secondly, the course costs far more than the other courses to study, as you will need to spend cash on computers, model making, printing, software etc.

In summary .. Architecture = Pain.
    I don't think creativity or mathetical people are 'architects'. I think it's people who are willing to endure and can deal with immense pain that succeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK471993)
    I guess it is someone who loves a combination of creativity and academia. I want to study architecture because I am obviously passionate about it. This passion probably stems from being able to amalgamate my love for Art & Design, science, and humanities. It is important to have a wide range of skills too.
    This is why I want to study architecture. From what I've read, I think those two fields are combined in architecture perfectly and therefore the course suits people who are creative but still want to study something academic :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A very close friend of mine wants to study architecture, and he is the kind of person who is creative to the point of being extremely random -- he comes up with these absurd concepts but are just pure genius most of the time. He's a little eccentric (maybe not just a little :lol:) but he earns everyone's respect because of his insane ideas. He reads a lot so his work is influenced by things like mythology and caricature. He's also really academic too, and meticulous to a fault.

I have a feeling that people like that make it far into architecture. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Morons.

ReputationRep:
    People say I'm quite eccentric/quirky/homosexual! I very much like being myself and not conforming to society constantly. My music taste is fairly unique and I enjoy saying things that not everybody else does. I would say in many ways I am content in my own company more so than others: I am not searching for a girlfriend and I do not use Facebook. I guess this earns people's respect as I was voted as Deputy Head of House. I always think that today's weird is tomorrow's cool. Not enough people are creative and themselves; humans are unique and creative beings.
    Someone shoot me please!!!

ReputationRep:
    People that like money and not getting a job done.

ReputationRep:
    Erm why?
    read what you've typed back. you're not on facebook and you like your own company. what are we supposed to do with that information? it reads more than a little indulgently and simultaneously naively.

i think KeyserNI was expressing his exasperation on those grounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshmallowfudgecake)
    People that like money and not getting a job done.
    Like money? Haha, that's funny.

ReputationRep:
    ???

ReputationRep:
    any..way.....

this instrests me too, Yes of course I know there are good/bad/funny/deranged people everywhere but I don't know what to personalities expect, generally are we talking intro or extroverted?

ReputationRep:
    masochists.

as for the other traits, mix of people really.

ReputationRep:
    gees

ReputationRep:
    Poeple who like creative design, technical art, and maths.

ReputationRep:
    pretty random collection on my course tbh. Varying from the eccentric/camp/think there well creative types to the anti-abstract/art-disliking people who just like the technical side. Also varies in terms of backgrounds tbh, we have some right skanky chavvy seeming people on my course as well as some really rich/posh/southern kids.

ReputationRep:
    Its a seven year course - think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by another_member)
    Its a seven year course - think about it.
    think about what?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.