Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

National Rail Enquiries Help!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I need to book a train from Falkirk to Cambridge, leaving on the 8th on December and coming back on the 10th. Ideally me and my dad would like to travel first class. On the National Rail Enquiries website, it says this can be done for about £360, with me as a child and my dad as an adult. But then it links me to another website which is more expensive :mad:

Can someone please help me find the cheapest way to get a return ticket from Falkirk to Cambridge, preferably first class, on the dates I specified. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You can't get cheaper than that bascially, not even on http://www.thetrainline.com

If you don't go first class you're going to save about £200. Is First class really worth that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    You can't get cheaper than that bascially, not even on http://www.thetrainline.com

If you don't go first class you're going to save about £200. Is First class really worth that?
    I suppose not really, but my dad said he was willing to splash out a bit, as long as it was less than £400 He was willing with the £360 one, but that price quoted seems to be a bit of a con, as it seems you can't actually get tickets at that price :mad:

Ach well, standard class will have to do, which is a shame, it would've been nice to see what first class was like, seeing as I've never travelled first class on anything at all before, even though my OP specifically stating first class makes me seem like an awful snob :p:

ReputationRep:
    Dont go first class, just reserve seats instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I suppose not really, but my dad said he was willing to splash out a bit, as long as it was less than £400 He was willing with the £360 one, but that price quoted seems to be a bit of a con, as it seems you can't actually get tickets at that price :mad:

Ach well, standard class will have to do, which is a shame, it would've been nice to see what first class was like, seeing as I've never travelled first class on anything at all before, even though my OP specifically stating first class makes me seem like an awful snob :p:
    Ahh don't worry about it, First Class is overrated! I did it once because for some very odd reason, when I booked far in advance it worked out that I could get first class for an extra £1 so I went for it.

It's just slightly different, you get a complimentary drink and a higher seat but wasn't grand.

ReputationRep:
    Try splitting your journey - i.e. book advance tickets from Falkirk (Grahamston or High) to Edinburgh then book another set of tickets from Edinburgh to Cambridge, or split at Peterborough. You can achieve vast saings doing this, just key in your info into NRE or East Coast - never, never, never use thetrainline etc, there's too many loopholes, and they can pass on data to other compaines from your credit card - this has beeen done in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I need to book a train from Falkirk to Cambridge, leaving on the 8th on December and coming back on the 10th. Ideally me and my dad would like to travel first class. On the National Rail Enquiries website, it says this can be done for about £360, with me as a child and my dad as an adult. But then it links me to another website which is more expensive :mad:

Can someone please help me find the cheapest way to get a return ticket from Falkirk to Cambridge, preferably first class, on the dates I specified. Thanks.
    Why catch the train when it's both cheaper and faster to go by plane? :confused: You can get the whole journey done for about £70 or £80 return per person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Why catch the train when it's both cheaper and faster to go by plane? :confused: You can get the whole journey done for about £70 or £80 return per person.
    It's clearly not. We ended up booking standard class and got it for £117 return for both of us. First class woulda been nice but ach well

ReputationRep:
    It's clearly not. We ended up booking standard class and got it for £117 return for both of us. First class woulda been nice but ach well
    Plane from Edinburgh to Cambridge (transit at Stansted) is only £25 by easyJet :p: I factored in (generous) costs for connections. If you get in and have to make the journey twice termly then you will see which mode of transportation is clearly superior

You can get Ryanair fares for even cheaper (sometimes even sub-£10 for a single) if you have no luggage and is willing to go to Glasgow Prestwick to catch it.

ReputationRep:
    First class really isn't worth it in my experience. At least with the FGW HST's, you get a tiny bit more legroom and thats it really. The fact all the seats are table seats actually annoyed me as it meant I couldn't plug my laptop into the power socket.

ReputationRep:
    Plane from Edinburgh to Cambridge (transit at Stansted) is only £25 by easyJet :p: I factored in (generous) costs for connections. If you get in and have to make the journey twice termly then you will see which mode of transportation is clearly superior
    Shht

Maybe I want to save the planet?

That's not the reason I went by train but the point still stands :p: Shh.

ReputationRep:
    Shht

Maybe I want to save the planet?

That's not the reason I went by train but the point still stands :p: Shh.
    Also if I travel by plane I can get it mid-morning and arrive early afternoon since the flight's only about one hour long, leaving the majority of my day to relax and do something else. If I travel by train then I'd either have to leave indecently early to arrive some time decent in the afternoon or vice-versa. Do you really want to squeeze your interview between two full days of travelling?

Just trying to be helpful, that's all :p:

ReputationRep:
    Also if I travel by plane I can get it mid-morning and arrive early afternoon since the flight's only about one hour long, leaving the majority of my day to relax and do something else. If I travel by train then I'd either have to leave indecently early to arrive some time decent in the afternoon or vice-versa. Do you really want to squeeze your interview between two full days of travelling?

Just trying to be helpful, that's all :p:
    Yeah, I leave at 9am on the day before. At least I'll have time to look through some of the stuff they sent me on the train... Should be ok really :p:

Hope I can perform at the interview though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I leave at 9am on the day before. At least I'll have time to look through some of the stuff they sent me on the train... Should be ok really :p:

Hope I can perform at the interview though!
    Good luck! :top: You'll likely to meet people who are amazing at maths but don't let that get you down!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! :top: You'll likely to meet people who are amazing at maths but don't let that get you down!
    Yeah, they sent me some stuff about Ordinary Differential Equations and Hyperbolic Functions which I really didn't have a clue about. Starting to learn it a bit better now, hopefully the snow won't stop me seeing my guy in Edinburgh who helps me with my application on Monday nights. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they sent me some stuff about Ordinary Differential Equations and Hyperbolic Functions which I really didn't have a clue about. Starting to learn it a bit better now, hopefully the snow won't stop me seeing my guy in Edinburgh who helps me with my application on Monday nights. Any tips?
    I would say practise as much a variety of question as possible, and not just textbook problems. It's likely that you'll be asked on something that requires creativity and thinking out of the box. The sort like in STEP I papers (although probably nowhere near as hard) which look impossible to start with but turns out to only need Standard Grade or Higher knowledge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.