Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I still got another year at 6th form to go but I have so many questions to ask you guys about Uni!

What I am planning to do is get my drivings license, get a car, proberally a Vauxhall Corsa and fill it up and go to Uni

My plan is to take;
    - 1 Suitcases Full of clothes
    - 1 box of Kitchen Utensils and stuff
    - 1 box of toiletries
    - Laptop bag

I plan to carry on me;
    - iPod
    - Watch
    - Wallet, money

What I plan to buy:
    - Printer
    - Speakers/iPod Dock
    - More clothes
    - Lamp
    - TV
    - Posters
    - Bedroom decorations
    - Bed + Pillow cover
    - Cleaning stuff

Do you think this'll work? Will I be able to buy cleaning stuff, bed covers and maybe a TV on the first day on arriving at Uni?

Also, what times do people normally arrive at Uni and start unpacking? I want to leave at around 6/7am to arrive and start unpacking at around 9/10am and buy all my stuff and meet people?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark229)
    Hi

I still got another year at 6th form to go but I have so many questions to ask you guys about Uni!

What I am planning to do is get my drivings license, get a car, proberally a Vauxhall Corsa and fill it up and go to Uni

My plan is to take;
    - 1 Suitcases Full of clothes
    - 1 box of Kitchen Utensils and stuff
    - 1 box of toiletries
    - Laptop bag

I plan to carry on me;
    - iPod
    - Watch
    - Wallet, money

What I plan to buy:
    - Printer
    - Speakers/iPod Dock
    - More clothes
    - Lamp
    - TV
    - Posters
    - Bedroom decorations
    - Bed + Pillow cover
    - Cleaning stuff

Do you think this'll work? Will I be able to buy cleaning stuff, bed covers and maybe a TV on the first day on arriving at Uni?

Also, what times do people normally arrive at Uni and start unpacking? I want to leave at around 6/7am to arrive and start unpacking at around 9/10am and buy all my stuff and meet people?

Thanks
    You may be overanalysing this a little quite far in advance, but anyway...

You'll be able to buy all that stuff on the first day of arriving, certainly if you have a car and can visit a supermarket. But I don't particularly see a need to, you can probably get much better deals if you buy in advance.

As for arriving, people will probably be arriving all day (regardless of the uni), and international students will already be there. So your plan would work fine, though it is far from the only option.

ReputationRep:
    1) Lol at planning to go to uni at christmas... Your intake is September?

2) This stuff is plenty. You could probably leave half behind and just hit Wilkinsons on your first day here.

3) If parkings anything like it is here, id leave the car. Look into it soon. The parking, the cost (insurance, tax, mot, servicing, fuel) really just dont make it worth it for most students.

4) TV? TV? Where do you think you are? Sharm al-Sheikh? Your laptop should do tv just fine, if you have xbox/ps3 then a computer monitor also does fine. If you're desperate for a tv, and your halls doesnt have one, then yeah, pick one up.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - Looks like my plan will work Bring little, spend lots lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm the opposite to be honest- got a load of donations of old bed clothes, towels, kitchen stuff etc from my family and left them behind then when I moved back home for summer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.