The Student Room Group

Trying to figure out what to do with myself

I thought I would come here to ask for advice on what kind of career to pursue. I graduated 2 and a half months ago and at the time, I was intending to get onto a archive assistant traineeship and apply for UCL's course on Archives & Records Management for next year. Unfortunately, I did not get any of the traineeships I applied for and have found it hard to get volunteer experience in an archive (I need about a year's worth of paid or unpaid work in the field before I start the course). i have managed to gain about 4 months worth of experience volunteering in various archives over the past couple of years and mostly did cataloguing, conservation and creating audits of archive holdings. With all this in mind, I'm looking at other options.

I studied History at Goldsmiths and got a 2:2. In terms of skills that I can offer, I feel that my greatest strengths include writing fluidly and effectively, working with written information, researching information, maintaining records, checking detail and following or creating procedures, writing report, presenting an argument and arguing a case. I am also able to learn new information easily and learn how to use new technology quickly.

I took the surveys offered by Next Step last night and one of the suggestions that it came back with was paralegal. Looking at the profile for it, it seems that most of my strengths are among the skills required for the job and therefore it might well be a good choice to go for. I can apparently join a law firm in admin role and study for paralegal qualifications while working.

What I'd like to ask people on here is this: do I stand a decent chance of getting into this profession with the skills and experience that I currently have and is it therefore worth trying? I would also like to ask if anyone can suggest any other careers that they think would be suited to me judging by what I have said in this post.

I welcome any advice that you can give me. Thanks.
Reply 1
32 views and nobody can offer me ANY advice?
Reply 2
http://www.archives.org.uk/content.asp?id=313

I don't know much at all about that particular field of work you want to get into but I am kind of in the same boat. (Graduated this june)
I spent the summer up until last month working in Germany but now I am home, planning to work a year and do a masters next year.
My advice would be too get in touch with your university department and or organisations concerning your field of interest!
My plan is currently applying to generic graduate jobs too earn my keep until I can become a student again...we shall see!
Reply 3
Thanks but that's not really the reply I was hoping for.

Anyone else please?
Reply 4
Come on!!! SOMEONE must be able to help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending