what gcse's do i need for law? Watch

This discussion is closed.
sejpej
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hi
i would just like to know wat gcse's are needed to get into a good law university?
good meaning sumtin like oxford!

also do uni's like oxford or cambridge need a language gcse!
i dont no wether to do one or not
plz help
thanks
sejpej
xxx
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sejpej)
hi
i would just like to know wat gcse's are needed to get into a good law university?

plz help
thanks
sejpej
xxx
It doesn't matter what GCSEs you do really but it will matter what A-Levels you do. So it would be a good idea to do GCSEs which you can take to A-Level.

You need at least C in a language to get in to Oxford.
sejpej
(Original post by happysunshine)
It doesn't matter what GCSEs you do really but it will matter what A-Levels you do. So it would be a good idea to do GCSEs which you can take to A-Level.

You need at least C in a language to get in to Oxford.
thanks for the help
sejpej
xxx
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thanks for the help
sejpej
xxx
It's okay! Search through this board to find lots of info on going into Law! There are lots of threads. Also check out the Oxbridge section.
LBF
Report 16 years ago
Id recommend straight a*s for GCSE and 5 AS's at A level including a language and 4 A's at A2......
sounds a lot doesnt it!!
I think that is what you need to be truely Oxbridge material, i didnt get grades anywhere near those and hense was rejected from Cambridge for law.

It is the most difficult subject to get an offer for, but do not let that deter you. I am going to take a gap year and reapply next year.

Good luck to you, and remember, there is more to life than Oxbridge. Degrees from other unis can be just as enjoyable, but if you have set your heart on Oxford then go for it, but forget your social life for the next 2 years!!!
Good Luck
LB
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
Id recommend straight a*s for GCSE and 5 AS's at A level including a language and 4 A's at A2......
sounds a lot doesnt it!!
I think that is what you need to be truely Oxbridge material, i didnt get grades anywhere near those and hense was rejected from Cambridge for law.
LB
It's perfectly possible to get an offer without those sort of grades (I know I did anyway).
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
It's perfectly possible to get an offer without those sort of grades (I know I did anyway).
lol...you did the IB and youre an international student! But its true thats realistcly what you need to get to stand a chance...or you have to be incredibly bright and have an shiny personality
LBF
Report 16 years ago
Im bright and have a shiny personality, but i stil got rejected.
3 A's at AS
1 A* at GCSE
the rest A's
Did great work experience
interview went really well
shagged another interviewee and Cambridge still rejected me!!

Thanks Cambridge!
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont think straight A*s is quite true, but you do need good grades, in my opinion your A levels are more important, and especially if you do a lot of things extra to ur qualifications then even if you dont get all A*s you could get in, sum of my friends have offers from oxbridge and they have offers of AAA but they didnt get 11 A*s at GCSE more like 6ish A* and 4As and a B, but thats usually for physics and maths and stuff though, sumone from our college went to oxford to do law without 11A*s last year as well.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
3 A's at AS
1 A* at GCSE
the rest A's

Thanks Cambridge!
As an outsider the system seems slightly random as well as needing to be a genious
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i know someone with a law offer who got AAB at a-level and didn't have brilliant GCSE's. If they see something in you that they like i don't think the admission tutors mind if you don't have a million A*
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
3 A's at AS
1 A* at GCSE
the rest A's

Thanks Cambridge!
don't appear stuck up, hehe how did you manage to shag another interviewwee
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I want to become a barrister but I'm not taking Law at University. I'm taking classics i.e Latin and Greek. Big law firms look kindly to people with classics degrees, so that would be another option. You would have to do another year of studying though, thats the only drag.
LBF
Report 16 years ago
I was merely stating how you dont have to have the qualities of shiny and bright to get accepted, you can be rejected with those qualities and grades such as mine as i demonstrated with my post.
As for the intercourse with the other interviewee, i will keep that private. In response to your question 'how did you manage to shag another interviewee' would you like me to draw you a diagram????

Please try and understand the context that posts were written in before you accuse someone of being stuck up, i am not in the least bit stuck up and i pity you if you are

Regards

LB
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
3 A's at AS
1 A* at GCSE
the rest A's

Thanks Cambridge!
I hope you werent shagging the other interviewee whilst in the middle of the interview or that could explain your rejection....! Or did you go over the top when you heard they were looking for hidden qualities???
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
I was merely stating how you dont have to have the qualities of shiny and bright to get accepted, you can be rejected with those qualities and grades such as mine as i demonstrated with my post.
As for the intercourse with the other interviewee, i will keep that private. In response to your question 'how did you manage to shag another interviewee' would you like me to draw you a diagram????

Please try and understand the context that posts were written in before you accuse someone of being stuck up, i am not in the least bit stuck up and i pity you if you are

Regards

LB
stuck up was probably the wrong phrase, i understand shagging, just maybe i you went out before your interview well then you might have looked smashed
LBF
Report 16 years ago
There was adequate time the night before the interview.
Maybe i should have carried it on all night and in the interview, maybe they would have thought- 'the boys got skills' and accepted me!lol
maybe!
maybe not!

It seems it is a bit of a mystery as to why some are accepted and some are rejected, however i feel making an impression at the interview is important in making them remember you (this takes me back to shagging in the interview)

Personally, if i had the nerve id love to go naked into the Cambridge interview, answer all the questions correct and shake there hand at the end. Acting perfectly normal.
When they ask me if i had any questions it would be great to say,
'is there a nudist club or society that i can join!'

Oh well i can dream
3adi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hi

plz help
thanks
sejpej
xxx
take history
sejpej
(Original post by kildare)
wat did u get den? r u studing law? wat uni u at?
i want to no coz i want 2 get into oxford 4 law but dnt no wat gcse's to take or a levels on dat mata?
plz help
luv sejpej
xxx
sejpej
(Original post by 3adi)
take history
do i av 2
i h8 history
im gs at it
but its just sooo boring
thnx 4 de help ne way
luv sejpej
xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (242)
61.89%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.6%
No- I want it (105)
26.85%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.65%

Watched Threads