Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you do english, french/german/spanish and history and youll be fine. Whatever else you should do things that you find enjoyable ... like music or media studies etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sejpej)
    wat did u get den? r u studing law? wat uni u at?
    i want to no coz i want 2 get into oxford 4 law but dnt no wat gcse's to take or a levels on dat mata?
    plz help
    luv sejpej
    xxx
    Like I said if you can study Latin and/or greek that is an advantage. History and English Language I would also recomend, although I didnt do these two subject myself at A level. Work experience is also very important. I'm currently taking a gap year to do work experience.

ReputationRep:
    is history a must
    coz it reali bores me
    sejpej
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    is history a must
    coz it reali bores me
    sejpej
    xxx
    a lot of law is based around tradition.

ReputationRep:
    History and English would be perfect for Law, plus at least one science if you're not doing Double Award.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phreek)
    a lot of law is based around tradition.
    so should i do history or not?
    if i dont is there still chance i will get into oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    History and English would be perfect for Law, plus at least one science if you're not doing Double Award.

do u no ne 1 who as got into any oxbridge uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    thnx 4 de tips
    luv sejpej
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    do u no ne 1 who as got into any oxbridge uni?
    I got into cambridge for law....just need to get the 3 As now...what do you need to know??

G

ReputationRep:
    I might have to go soon...so if you want to know anything...just pm me

G

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE, it really isn't that important as long as you have your Maths, English and Science.

ReputationRep:
    Could you 'getting into law' experts advise me what A-Levels would be needed to get in to law (I want to get into a good university) to make me stand out from the rest of the applicants. Also do you advise taking a law degree or doing another degree and then a post grad, if the latter which degree do you reccomend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Could you 'getting into law' experts advise me what A-Levels would be needed to get in to law (I want to get into a good university) to make me stand out from the rest of the applicants. Also do you advise taking a law degree or doing another degree and then a post grad, if the latter which degree do you reccomend?
    I got in to do law with bio, phys and maths at A2....at cam....but if i were you....i'd put at least one essay subject...

You need very good grades to get in to top unis for law cos its such a competitive course.....but unis that don't interview may prefer you to have an essay subject...

Having said that...i was rejected from bristol....but got offers from leicester, cam, UCL and KCL (all without interview).

To stand out from other applicants...you've got to show a keen interest in the subject....eg. work experience....attending law conference...etc...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I got in to do law with bio, phys and maths at A2....at cam....but if i were you....i'd put at least one essay subject...

You need very good grades to get in to top unis for law cos its such a competitive course.....but unis that don't interview may prefer you to have an essay subject...

Having said that...i was rejected from bristol....but got offers from leicester, cam, UCL and KCL (all without interview).

To stand out from other applicants...you've got to show a keen interest in the subject....eg. work experience....attending law conference...etc...

G
    Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure if I'm suited to law because I'd be too lazy to want to do work experience which suggests I'm not passionate enough about law. But I really want a job where I can argue, although I cannot think of anything other than law.

ReputationRep:
    LOl. I've said this before but i'll say it again. Classics (latin and greek) are an advantage. I took gcse Latin and Greek. A level Latin, AS Greek and A Level classical civ. History and ENg Lang are good at A level, but I didnnt take these due to boring content at my school.

I'm currently doing a years work experience at a solicitors down south. I will be going to C'Bridge to do a classics degree later this year. I got an offer of AA, but thats due to my sporting abilities, most students need AAB/AAA for top class uni's. So yes you can do other degrees. You do need to do an extra year of studying but like I said a lot of top law firms love to take people with a classics degree rather than law because with classics you have to be extrmely dedicated which is what they look for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    LOl. I've said this before but i'll say it again. Classics (latin and greek) are an advantage. I took gcse Latin and Greek. A level Latin, AS Greek and A Level classical civ. History and ENg Lang are good at A level, but I didnnt take these due to boring content at my school.

I'm currently doing a years work experience at a solicitors down south. I will be going to C'Bridge to do a classics degree later this year. I got an offer of AA, but thats due to my sporting abilities, most students need AAB/AAA for top class uni's. So yes you can do other degrees. You do need to do an extra year of studying but like I said a lot of top law firms love to take people with a classics degree rather than law because with classics you have to be extrmely dedicated which is what they look for.
    That is a very good idea to take a year out! Classics has always looked very appealing though I've never studied it in my life which would mean it probably isn't very available and I probably couldn't study it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure if I'm suited to law because I'd be too lazy to want to do work experience which suggests I'm not passionate enough about law. But I really want a job where I can argue, although I cannot think of anything other than law.
    To be honest with you....i did a weeks work exp in a solicitors firm...and it wasn't that interesting...if only cos i didn't do anything other than photocopy stuff!!!

The stuff about being lazy...don't worry...i'm lazy too...just choose AS nand A2 levels that you'll enjoy first....cos the grades need to be good...and if you do subjects you don't like...you probably won't get good grades. The good thing about law is that most A2 combinations don't restrict your options...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    To be honest with you....i did a weeks work exp in a solicitors firm...and it wasn't that interesting...if only cos i didn't do anything other than photocopy stuff!!!

The stuff about being lazy...don't worry...i'm lazy too...just choose AS nand A2 levels that you'll enjoy first....cos the grades need to be good...and if you do subjects you don't like...you probably won't get good grades. The good thing about law is that most A2 combinations don't restrict your options...

G
    I want a city lifestyle more than anything! So I will not choose law at a-level and i will choose a-levels that don't stop me from going into any other career?

ReputationRep:
    I want a city lifestyle more than anything! So I will not choose law at a-level and i will choose a-levels that don't stop me from going into any other career?
    Well...take me for example...i did all the sciences and maths at AS to leave my options open for medicine at uni....but decided against it and dropped chem...this didn't mean that i couldn't apply for law...

Just choose A levels that you'll enjoy....there's no point in doing ones that you hate.

G

ReputationRep:
    That is a very good idea to take a year out! Classics has always looked very appealing though I've never studied it in my life which would mean it probably isn't very available and I probably couldn't study it
    Thanks, although I must admit it was more to do with going down under to watch the world cup , but potential employers arent going to know that!

If you really wanted to it can be self taught. There are some really good books I could recomend. I pretty much taught my self AS greek because our teacher was sick half the year and I still got an A. Greek is nasty though, i'd learn latin if you really wanted to do classics, your school would be more than happy to put you in for the exam.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.