Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When is the best time to buy a laptop? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

When is the best time to buy a laptop? I want to buy preferably a Dell/Acer Aspire laptop.

When can I pick up the best bargins at PC World and Dell.com? Before or after Christmas?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    After Christmas, obviously. Don't buy from PC World. And be careful of Acer laptops, they have a very bad reputation for durability. They're fine if it's just going to sit on a desk and never travel about, but I wouldn't trust one you were bringing in and out of uni every day or similar.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't one really.
    After xmas you'll get some sales, but remember this year VAT will go up.
    Plus Intels new architecture (sandy bridge) will be available sometime during January / February so you may want to wait for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    There isn't one really.
    After xmas you'll get some sales, but remember this year VAT will go up.
    Plus Intels new architecture (sandy bridge) will be available sometime during January / February so you may want to wait for that.
    so would this replace the ix cores or is it simply a diferent motherboard/chipset

ReputationRep:
    Hey im gonna buy a toshiba sattelite for 349.99 but there one with similar specs but 329.99 at Currys/Pc world. Ooooh my first post *sniffles*

ReputationRep:
    it depends what sort of spec you want on it and how much money you're willing to spend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    so would this replace the ix cores or is it simply a diferent motherboard/chipset
    Sandy Bridge itself is the name of the CPU architecture that will replace the current i3 / i5 / i7 processors. However it will also be accompanied by a new chipset (and a new socket for desktop versions).

ReputationRep:
    The best time is probably now before it gets too close to xmas, Dell have deals on different laptops for a limited time before changing them. Obviously not after Jan 1st cause of the vat rise..

ReputationRep:
    If you want Sony buy now for the VAT back offer. Otherwise, just keep looking online for cheap deals and use price matching where possible in store.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome!

Does anyone know when the new Bios will be placed in new computers? The new bios will be a hardware version instead of software and will allow the pc to fully boot up in around 10seconds?

ReputationRep:
    Get a Vaio now, especially with Sony's VAT deal.

ReputationRep:
    guys what kind of laptop should i get for uni. I normally use amazon but they have hardly any customer reviews...

Also after xmas and before jan the 1st would be the best time to get one.

ReputationRep:
    When you find a laptop which has EFI instead of BIOS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark229)
    Hi

When is the best time to buy a laptop? I want to buy preferably a Dell/Acer Aspire laptop.

When can I pick up the best bargins at PC World and Dell.com? Before or after Christmas?
    Boxing day. Keep an eye on http://www.hotukdeals.com/ for the best deals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pristar)
    guys what kind of laptop should i get for uni. I normally use amazon but they have hardly any customer reviews...
    An i3 or i5 if you can get one cheap enough.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you buy before January 4th - I think that is when the VAT is going up. I don't think I have made this up... (But around then if I'm wrong.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baybars)
    An i3 or i5 if you can get one cheap enough.
    thanks, i should know i will doing computer science at uni lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.