Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Alcohol is addictive? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think Alcohol is addictive?
    Yes
    55.36%
    No
    33.93%
    Not sure
    10.71%

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that alot of people on here speak about the addictiveness of alcohol and use it as a reason not to try it.

I'm not trying to say that people should drink or in no way am I trying to defend it against people that don't agree on it, i'm just curious.

I know obviously there are alcoholics but do you personally think its addictive or see it as just a good night out?

If you drink, would you say your addicted or not?

ReputationRep:
    http://tinyurl.com/254brd5

(The only reason I did this was your one direction signature.)

ReputationRep:
    No, but drunken sex is. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AskMeAnything)
    http://tinyurl.com/254brd5

(The only reason I did this was your one direction signature.)
    Yes but I don't want to google it because the point is not whether it is addictive scientifically but what peoples views on it are.

Zain/harry :love: and i'm not even 12

ReputationRep:
    The substance itself may not be - for example, heroin addiction, you want the substance; in something like cannabis addiction, you want the feeling. It's that latter one that I think you can become addicted to alcohol with - you like feeling drunk, so you want it more.

I don't drink it because I become very easily addicted to things; seems better to avoid temptation where possible, because I can just see it ending in a gutter like the rest of my useless family.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what you mean by do I *personally* find it addictive? I don't drink enough to become addicted, but the reason I don't drink isn't BECAUSE I fear addiction.
    However, addiction to alcohol is a real thing. They've done studies involving rats/mice and messed around with their genes to test it. I think they've now found a gene/ set of genes that they've linked to being more likely to becoming an addict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linzikins)
    Yes but I don't want to google it because the point is not whether it is addictive scientifically but what peoples views on it are.

Zain/harry :love: and i'm not even 12
    No but seriously, this is like asking people 'do you think gravity affects you?'. It is proven to be scientifically true that alcohol is addictive. Would you post a thread asking people if they thought smoking was addictive?

ReputationRep:
    No but seriously, this is like asking people 'do you think gravity affects you?'. It is proven to be scientifically true that alcohol is addictive. Would you post a thread asking people if they thought smoking was addictive?
    No because I don't find smoking and drinking in the same league. Most people don't associate smoking with fun and the majority of people that say alcohol is addictive is those that don't drink (or alcoholics) but what about the people inbetween that do drink do they find it addictive or is it just abit of fun?

Also alot of people are starting threads saying I daren't try it etc. because i'm scared i'll get addicted but I personally don't view it as something you will become addicted to after trying it.

Not everyone that drinks becomes dependant on it so if someone said to me do I personally think its addictive i'd say no. So to those that do drink or have tried it do they feel that it's an addictive drink or something they could become addicted to or is it just a drink?

ReputationRep:
    No because I don't find smoking and drinking in the same league. Most people don't associate smoking with fun and the majority of people that say alcohol is addictive is those that don't drink (or alcoholics) but what about the people inbetween that do drink do they find it addictive or is it just abit of fun?

Also alot of people are starting threads saying I daren't try it etc. because i'm scared i'll get addicted but I personally don't view it as something you will become addicted to after trying it.

Not everyone that drinks becomes dependant on it so if someone said to me do I personally think its addictive i'd say no.
    It is addictive.

There are levels of addictiveness, however. Smoking contains nicotine, which is more addictive in some aspects than alcohol. But if you think about alcohol;

*It costs a lot of money.
    *It gives you a terrible hangover.
    *It makes you feel ill if you drink too much of it (which happens often).
    *It impairs your decision making process.
    *It doesn't taste particularly great, except in drinks where only a small quantity is included.
    *A huge contributor to deaths and injuries around the world.

Yet every Friday and Saturday night we go out and do it because we're addicted to that great feeling it gives you.

Explain to me how that isn't being addicted to something, even if it is only slight and breakable addition. Alcohol is both physically and mentally addictive, but for the vast amount of people who do it in moderation only mentally so. If you went out every night drinking you would start to feel a physical addiction to that feeling of being drunk, and crave alcohol just as a smoker craves cigarettes. It's an addictive substance.

Really, the question you should ask is 'are YOU addicted to alcohol'. That's what you want to know. Not 'is it addictive or is it just a drink' because that's a stupid question.

ReputationRep:
    No because I don't find smoking and drinking in the same league. Most people don't associate smoking with fun and the majority of people that say alcohol is addictive is those that don't drink (or alcoholics) but what about the people in between that do drink do they find it addictive or is it just a bit of fun?

:blah:
    I'm a smoker and (as much as I wish I didn't sometimes..) I associate smoking with having fun in certain social circumstances. Also, I voted 'yes' on the poll, because there's undeniable proof that alcohol is an addictive substance - I don't think it's a subjective matter.

ReputationRep:
    It is addictive.

There are levels of addictiveness, however. Smoking contains nicotine, which is more addictive in some aspects than alcohol. But if you think about alcohol;

*It costs a lot of money.
    *It gives you a terrible hangover.
    *It makes you feel ill if you drink too much of it (which happens often).
    *It impairs your decision making process.
    *It doesn't taste particularly great, except in drinks where only a small quantity is included.
    *A huge contributor to deaths and injuries around the world.

Yet every Friday and Saturday night we go out and do it because we're addicted to that great feeling it gives you.

Explain to me how that isn't being addicted to something, even if it is only slight and breakable addition. Alcohol is both physically and mentally addictive.
    I wouldn't say that going out on friday night once in a blue moon means your addicted though. I'd say addiction (i'm talking a negative addiction) is something your dependant on that you can't go without.
    It's not hurting anyone to go for a night out on a weekend (providing your not paralytic) That's not an addiction that is negative and would effect you in a big way so I wouldn't class it as addiction because you don't particularly feel you need it.

Do you drink?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    I'm a smoker and (as much as I wish I didn't sometimes..) I associate smoking with having fun in certain social circumstances. Also, I voted 'yes' on the poll, because there's undeniable proof that alcohol is an addictive substance - I don't think it's a subjective matter.
    I'm not debating whether its scientifically addictive. I mean on a personal level. If you drink would you say that your addicted to it or would you shrug it off as just something you do on a night out to have fun?

ReputationRep:
    Most people who drink aren't addicted to it, unlike most smokers.

The OP hasn't got a very clear question.

ReputationRep:
    wow you ****ing retards it's not addictive but people can become dependant on it, just like with everything else on this planet. You can become dependant on anything but that doesn't mean it's addictive.

****ing retards :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not debating whether its scientifically addictive. I mean on a personal level. If you drink would you say that your addicted to it or would you shrug it off as just something you do on a night out to have fun?
    I'm not sure how to answer that OP, I 'spose it depends how far you'd go to classify something as an addiction. Drinking alcohol is something I do when I go out to have fun; but if I feel as though I should be drinking just in order to have a good night out am I addicted to it in drinking out or habit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    Undeniable proof it is an addictive substance?! Show me that proof. Because it's not addictive. Not addictive in the slightest. You are so ****ing unbelievably wrong.

Explain why and how it is addictive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Undeniable proof it is an addictive substance?! Show me that proof. Because it's not addictive. Not addictive in the slightest. You are so ****ing unbelievably wrong.

Explain why and how it is addictive.
    Seeing as you seem to think there's a massive difference between something being addictive and people becoming dependant on certain substances, I don't see the point in trying to explain. If it's not addictive, explain alcoholics to me? There has to be some reason they're described as being addicted to alcohol, right?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course it is. Why do you think alcoholics are capable of ruining their lives? They need that drink, they will do anything for it even if that means splitting up with their family, becoming homeless etc. Of course it's addictive.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, no. I don't think I would have a problem giving up alcohol, I drink once per week but I do often go weeks/months without having any.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that going out on friday night once in a blue moon means your addicted though. I'd say addiction (i'm talking a negative addiction) is something your dependant on that you can't go without.
    It's not hurting anyone to go for a night out on a weekend (providing your not paralytic) That's not an addiction that is negative and would effect you in a big way so I wouldn't class it as addiction because you don't particularly feel you need it.

Do you drink?
    Did you not even click my top link?

Alcohol is a physically addictive drug. The withdrawal symptoms for alcoholics are horrendous. Just because you yourself don't feel addicted to it doesn't make it non-addictive. I have a cigarette every once in a while, around once a week with my friends, and I'm not addicted to it. That doesn't mean cigarettes are not addictive, I just haven't smoked enough of them to feel that effect. The same with alcohol - if you drank every day you would soon feel the physical effects of addiction - craving it etc - because it's a physically addictive substance.

As I said again - the question you are asking is wrong. You want to ask is 'are you addicted to alcohol'.

I do drink, yes.

I'm not an addict, no, but I understand that it is a physically addictive drug and I seek to avoid having a drink every single day of the week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.