Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    So I made a post asking this in the Summer & Off Cycle interns thread but it didn't get any response, so I thought I'd open it to the floor.

I have offers from two banks (Barcap and Nomura) for internships in Technology, and am giving myself a fair few headaches trying to pick one. Barcap compensation is a bit better, but I'm trying to make the decision on factors other than that because I know in the long run it won't make much difference money-wise.

Anyone with any experience of either (or both) of these banks (especially Tech if possible), or things you think I ought to consider that I haven't thought about?
    Congrats on the offers. You are right - the compensation is irrelevant unless you have a terminal condition.

Barcap is a more respected institution and is based here rather than in Japan which may have an impact on the opportunities you get, but not significantly.

I have no tech background (per se) but I can't think that Nomura could be more attractive than Barcap on any level for this role... BarCap also has great grad programmes if you do get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    future salary expectations are not as important for Ops/Tech/IT roles as your work is not revenue generating and thus bonuses, if they are awarded, are not a significant proportion of the compensation. Your salary will not increase at the same rate as FO grads, therefore it is more of a consideration for MO/BO.

The most significant and important thing you should give consideration to is whether the programmes are rotational, whether they are in the area of Tech which you want to be in, and last but not least, and in my opinion, the most important, the like-ability of the surrounding team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    Congrats on the offers. You are right - the compensation is irrelevant unless you have a terminal condition.

Barcap is a more respected institution and is based here rather than in Japan which may have an impact on the opportunities you get, but not significantly.

I have no tech background (per se) but I can't think that Nomura could be more attractive than Barcap on any level for this role... BarCap also has great grad programmes if you do get an offer.

(Original post by JakeF)
    future salary expectations are not as important for Ops/Tech/IT roles as your work is not revenue generating and thus bonuses, if they are awarded, are not a significant proportion of the compensation. Your salary will not increase at the same rate as FO grads, therefore it is more of a consideration for MO/BO.

The most significant and important thing you should give consideration to is whether the programmes are rotational, whether they are in the area of Tech which you want to be in, and last but not least, and in my opinion, the most important, the like-ability of the surrounding team.
    Thanks for your replies guys. Fair point regarding how each bank is perceived - it's fair that Barcap has more prestige than Nomura, but I'm not sure how much this would actually affect my future career prospects or is purely in terms of being able to say "I worked at bank X as opposed to bank Y etc"

JakeF,
    Barcap's grad programme is rotational but this internship is not. As for Nomura, AFAIK neither the internship nor grad is rotational. They are both in the general area of Tech that I want to work in, and I actually wholeheartedly agree with your point about the teams - I actually asked to meet the team I'd be working with at Nomura but they said it won't be decided until much nearer the time. As such, I can't even make a decision based on that! Anything you'd like to add?

Cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.