Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Higher University Fees Will Cause More Women To Become Strippers/Prostitutes Watch

• View Poll Results: Will Higher University Fees Push More Female Students To Become Strippers/Prostitutes
    Possibly
    50.00%
    Unlikely
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    I am sure we all remember those news articles of female students struggling to make ends meet going to university and resorting to being strippers and prostitues in order to help pay bills, here is an example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8379671.stm

Well, now that tutition fees are rising even more it is only logical to assume that some students will be trying to save as much money as they can while they are at university and a higher proportion of the female student population may turn to strip clubs/prostitution as a way to bring in extra revenue. I believe I am the first person to make this link and I assure you all in the next few years we will be reading this in the papers. This is not exactly the kind of family friendly Britain which David Cameron would want and I think this will obviously end up being be an embarrassment for him. Maybe then he will see the damage that these American like expenses are doing to us.

ReputationRep:
    Just in time for when I graduate on a £35k salary :borat:

ReputationRep:
    "lmfao" sums up this thread perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    "lmfao" sums up this thread perfectly.
    How so? You know this is a logical arguement. There is correlation between young women's need for money and the amount of strippers. You can't "lmao" this off and pretend it doesn't exist just because you don't want to talk about it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So much fail

ReputationRep:
    You never know.

ReputationRep:
    Lets hope so.I always feel frustrated when I can't get an intelligent conversation out of prostitutes.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    How so? You know this is a logical arguement. There is correlation between young women's need for money and the amount of strippers. You can't "lmao" this off and pretend it doesn't exist just because you don't want to talk about it.
    It isn't a logical argument - Firstly correlation does not equal causation. Secondly your conclusion of " higher fees = more strippers" is very much so overdrawn as an article on a very very small sample size is hardly enough evidence to back up the claim. There are other methods of raising money besides prostitution also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themedicalgeek)
    It isn't a logical argument - Firstly correlation does not equal causation. Secondly your conclusion of " higher fees = more strippers" is very much so overdrawn as an article on a very very small sample size is hardly enough evidence to back up the claim. There are other methods of raising money besides prostitution also.
    It's a suggestion, which may be possible.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themedicalgeek)
    What else do you think is the reason for current female students turning to stripping/prostitution? Obviously need of money is a cause.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure we all remember those news articles of female students struggling to make ends meat going to university and resorting to being strippers and prostitues in order to help pay bills, here is an example:

Well, now that tutition fees are rising even more it is only logical to assume that some students will be trying to save as much money as they can while they are at university and a higher proportion of the female student population may turn to strip clubs/prostitution as a way to bring in extra revenue. I believe I am the first person to make this link and I assure you all in the next few years we will be reading this in the papers. This is not exactly the kind of family friendly Britain which David Cameron would want and I think this will obviously end up being be an embarrassment for him. Maybe then he will see the damage that these American like expenses are doing to us.
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

people who wish to go uni are sensible, well most of em and most of em are smart enough to not go down that dark route
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What else do you think is the reason for current student strippers turning to stripping/prostitution? Obviously need of money is a cause.
    I think we both know that need of money is the only probable reason. However, people do many things when in financial distress- If tuition fees increased a student could move back in with her parents, sell her belongings, quit... It is a personal decision- if you re-read your argument you are proposing that in the basis of one girls story that the number of prostitutes would increase, it is of course a possibility like all things but it is not strong enough to use the word "will" instead of "could"

Also (see bold)

ReputationRep:
    and your problem is............................?

and why only women, is it suddenly unheard of for men to be strippers and postitutes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    It's a suggestion, which may be possible.
    Of course it is possible - see my later response - but far too weak to propose it will increase...

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why women would need to turn to stripping to cover the higher tuition fees because they will be covered by loans. The only reason women would need to become strippers is if they lower the maintenance loan/grant, which AFAIK they're not changing.

ReputationRep:
    This is just a theory, but; i'm pretty sure there are other ways of making money rather than stripping/prostitution?

I am sure we all remember those news articles of female students struggling to make ends meet going to university and resorting to being strippers and prostitues in order to help pay bills, here is an example:

No, you are stating a false cause-effect relationship. The higher tuition fees will not cause women to become strippers and/or prostitutes. It is the woman herself that will make the conscious decision to do so. Higher tuition fees are not forcing anyone to do anything.

Seriously, can people get their facts right? From the Browne review, no university will be able to charge the full £9000 pa unless they help students from disadvantages backgrounds and have measures in place so they will not be put off from university due to their financial background.

In addition, do people not realise that there are grants/bursaries in place to help students in need of money? Of course this is dependent on the specific institution but the principle still applies. There is help available if you are willing to find it yourself. Of course, there may be options to undertake part-time work, or employment of some sort; and information should be found at your (future) university's student union.

Of course, you students could just stay off the drink... /ad hominem

(Original post by 93M)
        This is just a theory, but; i'm pretty sure there are other ways of making money rather than stripping/prostitution?
        Yes, only the "stupid" (for want of a better word) would turn to prostitution to fund their education.

There is help available if you are willing to find it.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 28, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.