Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to write a commentary and not only is Facebook distracting me, but I now have a mindblock because I realised that one of my points relies on an ambiguous rhythm that I can't work out

Can someone please try and scan this line for me:

da propriam Thymbraee domum da moenia fessis

It's the "Thymbraee" that gets me, can't work out if "aee" counts as one syllable or two...

Thanks a bunch!

ReputationRep:
    Scansion's not my strong suit but I'll give it a go.

I'd take 'Thymbraee' as being 3 syllables - it's the diphthong 'ae', which is a single syllable, followed by an 'e', which is another syllable.

/ da pro / priam / Thymbraee / domum / da mo [enia fessis]

I'm probably missing out on some arcane rule of scansion that makes this horribly incorrect, but so it goes.

(Looking at the fact you're doing Latin at Durham I can't help but feel somewhat unqualified...)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.