Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me 'why the moon has craters and what energy transfer has accured when the craters are being made', thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadec2010)
    Can anyone tell me 'why the moon has craters and what energy transfer has accured when the craters are being made', thanks.
    Think about how craters (or holes) appear anywhere on earth. There needs to be an impact from on object. Think larger, fast moving objects in space.

ReputationRep:
    The Moon has craters because it has been struck by meteorites (I think that is the correct term?).

When they were in space the meteorites had lots of KE, which was converted into thermal, kinetic, and elastic potential on the Moon's surface. Thermal as it would have had friction with the surface, kinetic as debris would have been ejected in all directions, and elastic potential as then Moon's surface will be compressed.
    You may also talk about the gain in KE before the meteorite strikes as it loses GPE by nearing the Moon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.