Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A slight disagreement and now she's become distant Watch

ReputationRep:
    On Thursday I was with this girl and we got into a slight disagreement over something, really small.

Anyway, she hasn't contacted me since and, likewise, I haven't her, but I'm just so tempted to. Although we did nothing wrong to each other, I apologised to her, to which she said "it's fine". I feel guilty, but don't know why.

Should I contact her, bearing in mind that she might not want to talk to me? I know it sounds pathetic, but it's really bothering me.

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    it's fine in girl language tends to mean it's not really okay..

ReputationRep:
    she's probably waiting for you to make the first move, and if she really doesn't want to ever look at/hear from you again (which is unlikely if it was over something small) at least you know you gave it a shot. although remember, a small thing to you might be a big thing to her. best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't ask her you'll never know. So yh call her and if she doesn't want to talk to you then at least you know you tried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    What you suggest I do?

ReputationRep:
    Contact her first.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I behave this way when I want an apology and attention, us girls like being chased you know She was just looking for something very small to get upset about and to see just how much you care about her. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    girls tend to be stubborn, i'd just text her something light like 'hey sorry about the other night, reckon i could see you soon or we could talk soon' or someting she'd appreciate that

ReputationRep:
    if its something random, it had to be not about the situation par se, but about your thought process. she didnt seem to like the way you were thinking at that point of time.

from past experience, when you're with someone who doesnt quite get it when its the random trivialities, they do not understand when it comes to the more important things, either.

ReputationRep:
    "Its fine" is not a good sign.
    She's probably punishing you, and is being distant because she wants to teach you how wrong you were and make you feel guilty.
    She probably also wants you to ring her.
    Don't forget to be apologetic.

ReputationRep:
    Women eh.

ReputationRep:
    My response to stuff like this is usually to attempt an apology or three :yep:, then reciprocate if they persist in distancing themselves from me. :sad:

They're a friend, so I don't want to waste their time by being around them, no matter how much I might like them as a person.

So...if this really is used by some people as a method of 'checking' how committed someone is as a friend (or otherwise), then I think those people may need to put more thought into their actions, if they want to be sure of keeping their friends. :sadnod: It seems a rather silly way to lose a friend, when all's said and done.

Either that, or get to know people a little better before acting like this. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    "Its fine" is not a good sign.
    She's probably punishing you, and is being distant because she wants to teach you how wrong you were and make you feel guilty.
    She probably also wants you to ring her.
    Don't forget to be apologetic.
    Why is "its fine" not a good sign?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    yeah or "it's nothing, forget it."

That is bad, baaad. It's cruel as well because you can't try and solve a problem if you don't know what it is, and they won't tell you what it is, they expect you to work it out. Be fair, guys aren't as good at that...doesn't mean we don't care!

also as per usual the guy is having to do the chasing and apologising. Mental torture...your kind is good at mind games.

ReputationRep:
    From experience, trust me - just contact her and be humble.

I can't fathom the logic of a woman's argument :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hey TSR)
    Why is "its fine" not a good sign?
    Its girl-speak for "It is definitely NOT fine, *******"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    yeah or "it's nothing, forget it."

That is bad, baaad. It's cruel as well because you can't try and solve a problem if you don't know what it is, and they won't tell you what it is, they expect you to work it out. Be fair, guys aren't as good at that...doesn't mean we don't care!

also as per usual the guy is having to do the chasing and apologising. Mental torture...your kind is good at mind games.

If you love us enough you'll figure it out.

ReputationRep:
    aye maybe so but it is amusing to see threads where females are wishing their partner would communicate better.

But the issue is when your friend/partner is upset and you have no idea why, it turns out it's nothing you've done but the "doesn't matter" or "forget it" is very unhelpful as you can't best comfort them if you don't know the problem. It might turn out that they and a friend have fallen out, a friend you don't know well. You can't have been expected to know that and a bit more communication would have allowed for you to try and give advice/comfort earlier on.

anyway....who wants cake!?

ReputationRep:
    But that's the point - if I really care about someone, I want them to be happy.
    If my company (after several attempted apologies have apparently been shrugged off) is evidently something that they don't want, then I'll leave them alone, no matter who they are or how much I care about them. :sigh:

Everyone thinks in different ways. :yes: Sometimes I don't know whether that's more a good thing than a bad one.

(Original post by joey11223)
    anyway....who wants cake!?
    Me! :woo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.