This is a serious question, honest! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Musicwoman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
So...

what if I contact the department / admissions and enquire if they would be prepared to consider me for a place in August if people in my subject fail to get their grades?

Does anyone know if anyone's ever treid this and, more importanatly, whether it works?

No, I'm not giving up yet!! What's the point of having AAA grades when all my other offers are BBB? dammit, I'm MEANT to be at flaming cambridge!!
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They make more offers than they have places for, expecting for a significant number not to meet their set requirements.

So, I'd say - unlikely (and move on, or reapply).
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You have virtually no chance, they allow for the fact that a few people will miss their grades when making offers, and I know that Oxford (dunno about Cam) makes open offers (college not specified) so people can take the places of people who haven't met their offers.

I agree with you that it is frustrating, I was rejected by Oxford and my firm now is probably going to be a BBB offer, so it just seems really pointless that I'm working so hard and aiming for AAAAA. However I might decide to reapply though, so then I'll be grateful for my grades, and it'll still look good on a CV whatever uni I go to, so I suppose it's worth it.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do cambridge really give out more places than they have? I know this is the case with other unis but I thought that as so many people accept the offers made by cambridge they would just offer the places they hve. I guess this is prob more the case in smaller departments for example I can't imagine a college with 2 places for music offering three places. Maybe i'm wrong

Musicboy
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
do cambridge really give out more places than they have? I know this is the case with other unis but I thought that as so many people accept the offers made by cambridge they would just offer the places they hve. I guess this is prob more the case in smaller departments for example I can't imagine a college with 2 places for music offering three places. Maybe i'm wrong
They must make a few more, as not everyone does make the grades (especially when there's STEP involved) and not everyone who gets an Oxbridge offer puts it down as their firm (I know the idea sounds weird to most of us Oxbridge hopefuls on this forum, but it's true).
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wish! I phoned Cambridge up last August and asked, and they said no, despite the fact i know the department made 30 offers and only 20 got the grades, so there would have been space. They're so mean...
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No. They must have rejected you for a reason, there will be hundreds of other people who got rejected but still get straight As, and there is a summer pool for people who dont get the grades where colleges with space left over consider people who missed the grades, so the places get filled.

I guess an offer but not getting the grades comes before no offer but getting the grades, as oxbridge say to applicants, the grades are important but they aren't everything.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Musicwoman)
So...

what if I contact the department / admissions and enquire if they would be prepared to consider me for a place in August if people in my subject fail to get their grades?

Does anyone know if anyone's ever treid this and, more importanatly, whether it works?

No, I'm not giving up yet!! What's the point of having AAA grades when all my other offers are BBB? dammit, I'm MEANT to be at flaming cambridge!!
I don't believe that was a serious question...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
I wish! I phoned Cambridge up last August and asked, and they said no, despite the fact i know the department made 30 offers and only 20 got the grades, so there would have been space. They're so mean...
They make more offers than they have places, to guarantee that the places they do have will be filled, so it's quite possible that they didn't have space.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
They make more offers than they have places, to guarantee that the places they do have will be filled, so it's quite possible that they didn't have space.
where do you get this info from? what happens if the exam boards f*ck up and accidently make some popular exams too easy - this would result in more people than places?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
where do you get this info from? what happens if the exam boards f*ck up and accidently make some popular exams too easy - this would result in more people than places?
Well firstly if the boards make an exam too easy the marks will be scaled accordingly. Secondly, it does happen that they accept more people than places, and the answer to that is tough, they just get in trouble from the university and will try not to make the mistake again.

Take Maths at Cambridge, one of the conditions of a Maths offer is to pass STEP, now 60% of people don't, so you can imagine how many extra offers they have to make for Maths.
Tifa
Report 16 years ago
Well, it wouldn't actually matter if the exam was 'easier' because they set up the grade boundaries with respect to how well people do. So the same proportion of people (roughly) will get an A, and theoretically it would be the same people as would have gotten an A on 'harder' paper.

Also, having more people than places does happen, Universities have to be flexible, a lot of effort goes into predicting what proportion of people make grades and then making offers that will hopefully end up with an approximately right number at the end.

This is what I have been told by my year-head... and she might not that reliable.

EDIT: Fishpaste was a quick there - sos
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (0)
0%
Yes- I don't like it (0)
0%
No- I want it (0)
0%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads