Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm confused about what is and what is not possible at the OU. For example, could you complete a BSc or BEng degree in one year? (provided you were particularly smart and had plently of time)

...Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No, you can't complete a BSc or BEng degree in one year at the OU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LW5x01)
    No, you can't complete a BSc or BEng degree in one year at the OU.
    It takes a minimum of 3 years? Could you link me to evidence of what you're saying...

ReputationRep:
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/explain...uch-time.shtml

It states 'average' time. I'm not an average student, hence I'm wondering...

ReputationRep:
    good to hear that you are not an average student .

The OU might allow an individual to do more than 120 points in a year, maybe 150, but 120 points is regarded as full time and it therefore takes 3 years, like any other university.

So even if you could do 150 points in year 1 and 2 you would still have 60 points to do in year 3, so no point really. The OU academic year runs from Feb to Oct, with most courses normally having an exam in October.

There is no way that you can complete the degree sooner, unless you have previous study that you can get credit for, named degrees normally have a prescribed route and courses that you must take, so again no real way to short circuit the process.

Martin.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.