Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in my first years at university studying Applied linguistics, i will be 33 years old when i graduate and im wondering if it is too late for me to join the RAF as an officer. Another problem is that i do not have A levels. I was accepted into university as a mature student because of life experience and previous work experience. Will not having A- levels(but having a degree) effect my application to become an officer?

Any info would be much appreciated

Regards

Coz1

ReputationRep:
    Not too old unless you wanted to be a Pilot.

Basic entry requirements for RAF Officer are 2 A Levels. You can try talking to the AFCO to see if they'll accept other quals in lieu, but it's unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Not too old unless you wanted to be a Pilot.

Basic entry requirements for RAF Officer are 2 A Levels. You can try talking to the AFCO to see if they'll accept other quals in lieu, but it's unlikely.
    thanks for the info... Just wondering what the logic was behind the qualification issue.. as im studying a B.A(HON) Applied linguistics... which is a much more advanced qualification than 2 A levels.. dosent seem to make sense..

ReputationRep:
    All entrants should have the same basic qualifications - anything above those requirements is no doubt a bonus, but an unnecessary one.

ReputationRep:
    Coz, the days when everyone did O levels / CSE's, then some people did A Levels then a few went onto Uni to do a BA or BSc are long gone, and the RAF, being a modern employer (thats what it says on the tin), recognise this.

With a few key strokes, I Googled RAF careers qualifications which takes you post haste to the RAF Careers site. Right bang in the middle of the page, below the title, is a blue bar which invites you to input your age, qualifications and desired salary. I very helpfully did this for you at age 33, with degree, and hey presto, there appear to be a number of opportunities at Officer / Non- Commissioned level which open up.

Big caveat - Post SDSR last month, I don't think the webbies have kept up with the Manning people and their requirements. Have a quick scan through these threads and you'll realise how competitive a military career is about to become.

Crack on though buddy and best of luck with the course.

Ikaruss

ReputationRep:
    Ikaruss, issue there is that the website will assume that with a degree the applicant also has the requisite A Levels. I've heard of people turned down in the past because of a lack of A Levels, despite their degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikaruss)
    Coz, the days when everyone did O levels / CSE's, then some people did A Levels then a few went onto Uni to do a BA or BSc are long gone, and the RAF, being a modern employer (thats what it says on the tin), recognise this.

With a few key strokes, I Googled RAF careers qualifications which takes you post haste to the RAF Careers site. Right bang in the middle of the page, below the title, is a blue bar which invites you to input your age, qualifications and desired salary. I very helpfully did this for you at age 33, with degree, and hey presto, there appear to be a number of opportunities at Officer / Non- Commissioned level which open up.

Big caveat - Post SDSR last month, I don't think the webbies have kept up with the Manning people and their requirements. Have a quick scan through these threads and you'll realise how competitive a military career is about to become.

Crack on though buddy and best of luck with the course.

Ikaruss
    Thanks for the advice mate.. i will check it out..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Ikaruss, issue there is that the website will assume that with a degree the applicant also has the requisite A Levels. I've heard of people turned down in the past because of a lack of A Levels, despite their degrees.
    That doesnt really make sense. The RAF does not specify what A level subjects they want, so one can only assume that you are required to have Al evels to prove you can handle academic studies. Surely a 3 year B.A (HON) Degree is better than 2 Alevels in whatever..
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coz1)
    That doesnt really make sense. The RAF does not specify what A level subjects they want, so one can only assume that you are required to have Al evels to prove you can handle academic studies. Surely a 3 year B.A (HON) Degree is better than 2 Alevels in whatever..

It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's tax-payer's money being spent on training and employing people, and that is what they recruitment system has to justify when it decides to recruit one person over the 200 other applicants per place. I've seen computer science degree holders turned down for not having GCSE maths. Someone in the training world has decided for some reason that continuity of educational achievement is important. It's not a matter of 'better than' necessarily, more a matter of 'well founded' or 'continuous'.

However, taken at face value, you are right in presenting the argument that someone with a degree is quite likely perfectly capable of operating above A level and GCSE level. Present yourself to the AFCO and OASC and see if you can convince them.

ReputationRep:
    Coz. unfortunately 3pd is right, although I would suggest with a good degree, you have a strong hand. You should contact your local AFCO and get the definitive answer. If they say no, it's their loss.

Don't know much about Linguistics, but I bet you could put your degree to good use with other Govt agencies if you get my drift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's tax-payer's money being spent on training and employing people, and that is what they recruitment system has to justify when it decides to recruit one person over the 200 other applicants per place. I've seen computer science degree holders turned down for not having GCSE maths. Someone in the training world has decided for some reason that continuity of educational achievement is important. It's not a matter of 'better than' necessarily, more a matter of 'well founded' or 'continuous'.

However, taken at face value, you are right in presenting the argument that someone with a degree is quite likely perfectly capable of operating above A level and GCSE level. Present yourself to the AFCO and OASC and see if you can convince them.
    Chck out this web link 3pd

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/rafcms...E0E0F85D83.pdf

I found this after searching through the RAF website.. its a Educational Equivalencies which completely conradicts what you are saying..

where are you getting your info from?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coz1)
    Chck out this web link 3pd

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/rafcms...E0E0F85D83.pdf

I found this after searching through the RAF website.. its a Educational Equivalencies which completely conradicts what you are saying..

where are you getting your info from?
    My information isn't more recent than May this year, which is when that document was published. The last formal advice they published prior to this was produced in late 2005 and was significantly stricter than this version on equivalencies and what counted for GCSE English and Maths. Last year, I know they had moved to judging people on a case by case basis when they didn't have the minimums but had much higher qualifications. We've had guys on here get in on BTECs in the last year or so, which were not accepted about 2 years ago. However, if they have now got to grips with modern qualifications and non-standard educational histories - great. Apply and see how it goes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.