Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Writing A Suicide Note For A2 Coursework ... a bit much? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, hear me out.

I need to write an original piece of writing, on the theme of "identity" for my A2 Lang Lit. When i had to write a "proposal" for the piece i panicked (because i hadn't done one) and just blurted out some crap about cults.

Now i have to do one about cults but i had an idea - a cult member who is about to partake in a mass suicide and his final message. I am very strong at writing in first person / stream of consciousness and have a host of great ideas for the piece but do you reckon it is just a bit too much? I reckon i can make it not completely tasteless but you never know what they may think.

I dont want them to think im actually suicidal or refer me to some psychiatric help, i just want to write an emotional, somewhat disturbing piece of writing unrelated to my life. I asked my mum just now if it was a good idea and she stopped what she was doing, looked at me and said "you're not going to do something stupid, are you?". I do seem like a very morbid person and pretty quiet in this one particular class, so i dont want to think im ****ed up in the head for writing it or think i have some urge to kill myself.

I dont know! I reckon i could pull this off and make it an amazing piece of writing but i just dont want people to worry or think im crazy. What to you guys reckon, a bit too much!?

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, personally i'd say no, think of another idea

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they will appreciate you non-conforming subject matter and applaud your direct approach towards a sensitive issue.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm interesting, I really llike the idea but agree it might worry people!

Could you write about a terrorist suicide bomber? I think the psychology of people that are drawn/pushed into becoming martyrs is quite distinct from that of people who are depressed and suicidal, according to research. By focusing on the religion side of it and maybe how the person doesn't want to die but is in fact after glory, you could make the situation as different from your own as possible?

ReputationRep:
    i think if you can do it well, it would be really good, but it would have to be pretty amazing!! but if you think you can do it, go for it!!! originality and all that!

ReputationRep:
    You could always tell your teacher beforehand and make sure she knows that it's not your intent, you're writing it for literary purposes, not to express your obvious inner feelings etc.

Or attach a little note to the beginning of the coursework saying something like "by the way i'm not suicidal." although a little more well-thought out than that.

ReputationRep:
    If you're careful.

Being Suicidal
    You might want to do some research into suicide notes, and the suicidal mind, because they're generally dull and concrete.

Although, it'll probably different in the case of a cult mass suicide.

As said above, if you make it clear to the teacher that you're not suicidal, you'll probably be okay.

ReputationRep:
    You are brilliant. If I was a teacher and you'd wrote something like this, I'd be impressed. Other teachers might overreact... its kind of tricky, indeed. But that's what separates good students from excellent ones

ReputationRep:
    I did something like that for GCSE coursework, well it was a boy's thoughts as he walked across a beach and eventually jumped off a lighthouse.

And it was fine...so go with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihateyourhairstyle)
    Okay, hear me out.

I need to write an original piece of writing, on the theme of "identity" for my A2 Lang Lit. When i had to write a "proposal" for the piece i panicked (because i hadn't done one) and just blurted out some crap about cults.

Now i have to do one about cults but i had an idea - a cult member who is about to partake in a mass suicide and his final message. I am very strong at writing in first person / stream of consciousness and have a host of great ideas for the piece but do you reckon it is just a bit too much? I reckon i can make it not completely tasteless but you never know what they may think.

I dont want them to think im actually suicidal or refer me to some psychiatric help, i just want to write an emotional, somewhat disturbing piece of writing unrelated to my life. I asked my mum just now if it was a good idea and she stopped what she was doing, looked at me and said "you're not going to do something stupid, are you?". I do seem like a very morbid person and pretty quiet in this one particular class, so i dont want to think im ****ed up in the head for writing it or think i have some urge to kill myself.

I dont know! I reckon i could pull this off and make it an amazing piece of writing but i just dont want people to worry or think im crazy. What to you guys reckon, a bit too much!?
    i do remember a friend did it of mine hos now at uni, i think they got A not sure :confused: but anyways, they got told to see the council and that was about it lol
    i know what your on about though, these types of letters you can really pull it off hahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreadfullyFun)
    If you're careful... :blah:
    Dull and concrete... whut? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I did a suicide note for my AS coursework... I got 75/80! As long as you can justify the reasoning behind it and perhaps note similar pieces as inspiriation, it's very original and effective!

I think if you're worried about your teachers/moderaters being worried about your state of mind, speak to your tutor about why you would like to do the piece!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mya369)
    Could you write about a terrorist suicide bomber? I think the psychology of people that are drawn/pushed into becoming martyrs is quite distinct from that of people who are depressed and suicidal, according to research. By focusing on the religion side of it and maybe how the person doesn't want to die but is in fact after glory, you could make the situation as different from your own as possible?
    Hey, thats actually a great idea. Im Pakistani so i'll probably get whisked away to Diego Garcia (i kid of course)

(Original post by patientology)
    You are brilliant. If I was a teacher and you'd wrote something like this, I'd be impressed. Other teachers might overreact... its kind of tricky, indeed. But that's what separates good students from excellent ones
    My teacher is a very open minded person, hes some sort of deranged hippie who always going on about his LSD experiences etc so i dont reckon he'll over react and i reckon he'll find it fascinating. And thanks for calling me brilliant hehe

If you're careful.

Being Suicidal
    You might want to do some research into suicide notes, and the suicidal mind, because they're generally dull and concrete.

Although, it'll probably different in the case of a cult mass suicide.

As said above, if you make it clear to the teacher that you're not suicidal, you'll probably be okay.
    I've been reading some notes and they're either very poetic or just bland, like you said. I'll have to find a balance.

(Original post by MylesXD)
    i do remember a friend did it of mine hos now at uni, i think they got A not sure :confused: but anyways, they got told to see the council and that was about it lol
    i know what your on about though, these types of letters you can really pull it off hahah
    Cool, im feeling kind of positive about this one but i just reckon i seem to act to unstable for them not to take it seriously!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and i reckon i should have mentioned this, but i wont be able to speak to my teachers etc as my first draft is due in Friday but i have Uni interviews and open days this week and wont get time to speak to them before hand...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like a very good idea. Literature deals with lots of sensitive issues, if you execute it well I think it could be very interesting to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    Dull and concrete... whut? :lolwut:
    Yeah, concrete. Speaking in terms of solid objects, unlike abstractions like emotions or the soul.

If you've ever spoken to a severely depressed and suicidal person, you'd probably know what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do it

ReputationRep:
    I can feel why your mother's reaction was like that. I had an headache during reading the whole thread.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, concrete. Speaking in terms of solid objects, unlike abstractions like emotions or the soul.

If you've ever spoken to a severely depressed and suicidal person, you'd probably know what I meant.
    I tried to kill myself several times when I was younger, that's exactly why I questioned your sentiment to begin with. Congratulations on massively generalising the suicidal and your condemning arrogance to boot - I am somewhat impressed.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, check with your teacher.

I know for A2 language orals there were some topics we weren't allowed to use as our debate topics (abortion, death penalty) so there might be some kind of rule.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.