Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just found out the my gf's sisters bf has family in Pa USA and we are going to stay with them this summer and then travel. I have been looking at flights to Newark airport in Ny and so far £440 is the cheapest. Anyone know of any cheaper or is this likely it? That price is from Virgin Atlantic for end of June to end of July.

ReputationRep:
    I've got enough virgin points to qualify for a free return flight to NY.. if there was any way of doing so i'd transfer them to you and give you the flight at a bargain price... but i'm not sure its allowed... i wish it was tho cos i could so do with the money more than the flight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack_1919)
    I've got enough virgin points to qualify for a free return flight to NY.. if there was any way of doing so i'd transfer them to you and give you the flight at a bargain price... but i'm not sure its allowed... i wish it was tho cos i could so do with the money more than the flight
    Damn you must fly a hell of a lot! Thanks for the thought though that would of been a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlo08)
    Just found out the my gf's sisters bf has family in Pa USA and we are going to stay with them this summer and then travel. I have been looking at flights to Newark airport in Ny and so far £440 is the cheapest. Anyone know of any cheaper or is this likely it? That price is from Virgin Atlantic for end of June to end of July.
    If you split your flight you could probably get it cheaper but have to put up with more time on planes and work out transfer times.

ReputationRep:
    Fly with Continental

ReputationRep:
    Damn you must fly a hell of a lot! Thanks for the thought though that would of been a good deal.
    hehe i wish... i got given 25,000 points after i made a complaint about something that happened. yer, wish i could give it to you tho ...! i'd love to go for free but have no money to use when i get there hehe so its a bit pointless to me! hope u find what u need bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    Fly with Continental
    I've just checked continental and the prices there are low but all in $ is this a problem? Have you flown with them before are they good and are they abta protected?

ReputationRep:
    I've just checked continental and the prices there are low but all in $ is this a problem? Have you flown with them before are they good and are they abta protected?
    You can buy tix from them in Dollars, or from the UK via e.g. Pricerunner, doesn't matter.

Yes and yes

I went to the USA bk in Aug, and I managed to get a return flight flyin to/from Newark for £379. That was with Virgin Atlantic. I booked that during April.

So might be good idea to wait until after Xmas, see what you can find :-).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DancinBallerina)
      I went to the USA bk in Aug, and I managed to get a return flight flyin to/from Newark for £379. That was with Virgin Atlantic. I booked that during April.

So might be good idea to wait until after Xmas, see what you can find :-).
      Whats the likely hood of that happening? Prices may also go up too right?

Whats the likely hood of that happening? Prices may also go up too right?
        Prices at the mo are a tad high because it's Xmas. My brother also went to the States (we were out there at the same time), and he booked his flight in January and got a return to/from JFK for £307 with Virgin Atlantic.

I don't know the likely hood of prices staying the same or going up. But if you're willing to take a gamble and then so be it. If you feel £440 is cheap, book it now.

ReputationRep:
        He wants Newark, not JFK..

Newark is a Continental hub..

(Original post by Focus08)
          He wants Newark, not JFK..

Newark is a Continental hub..
          :rolleyes: I know, I did say I flew to/from Newark for £379, my bro flew to/from JFK for the £307, and we were out there at the same time. The price diff. is what I am trying to illustrate.

Tbh even if you fly into JFK, it's pretty easy to get to Newark - just get the 'A' train from JFK to Penn Station and then get NJ Transit from Penn Station to Newark Airport.

NY is v v easy to get around, especially to/from airports. BUT seeing as the OP wants to get to Philly, obv. going into Newark is easier and then getting a connecting flight from there to Philly.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by DancinBallerina)
          :rolleyes: I know, I did say I flew to/from Newark for £379, my bro flew to/from JFK for the £307, and we were out there at the same time. The price diff. is what I am trying to illustrate.

Tbh even if you fly into JFK, it's pretty easy to get to Newark - just get the 'A' train from JFK to Penn Station and then get NJ Transit from Penn Station to Newark Airport.

NY is v v easy to get around, especially to/from airports. BUT seeing as the OP wants to get to Philly, obv. going into Newark is easier and then getting a connecting flight from there to Philly.
          I'm not flying to Philly. We are flying into Ny and then I think we are getting picked up and driving to Philly, unless a flight from ny to philly is very cheap?

I'm not flying to Philly. We are flying into Ny and then I think we are getting picked up and driving to Philly, unless a flight from ny to philly is very cheap?
            No it'll be more money. But the drive from NY to Philly isn't too long, I did it on the Megabus, took 2hours. Journey went really quick, purely because I was having conversations with Americans who loved the British accent lol.

ReputationRep:
            Have you looked into flying US Airways direct to Philly?

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Lucy :))
            Have you looked into flying US Airways direct to Philly?
            I think my gf looked at that today, prices kept adding and taking tax but I think it was around the same price. Can we pay for a flight that is listed in $?

Also does anyone know a good place to look for cheap hostels? We want to drive to chicago for a few days maybe but so far the hostels I've found are like £40 a night!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.